Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Humans

This morning I took a nice walk in my neighborhood and noticed lots of American flags, for President's day I guess. Kev put his flag up yesterday. The people across the street have a Texas flag flying high. I've also seen an Australian flag, and Irish flag, UT flags, and various signs in people's yards about "my kid is an STA wildcat," and so forth. What is it with humans? Kev is always saying how people have to feel like part of a team, and it's true. Nothing unites people like a common foe. And everybody thinks their team is right and good, while the other team is wrong and bad. Republicans vs Democrats, Catholics vs Protestants, Yankees vs Red Sox, Smooth Jazz vs Young Country...dangit. I'm with Rodney King. Can't we all just get along? I want a flag that indicates I play for team Planet Earth. About the only chance we have is if there turns out to be some aliens we can all be against. I am having a "troubled" day. I am going to go sit on my porch for a while and try to focus on the birds and the nice daffodils that have recently bloomed around my tree, so I don't have to go to work later with this bad attitude.

1 comment:

Larry Feathers said...

I think it's weird that you think having up a flag means that you are for your "team" and against all the rest. Maybe all of the people with flags are for flags and against not having flags. If your theory is right (that people put up a flag for their "team") most people would put up a flag with their own face on it.

You are becoming a worse version of me.

I think you and Kevin could get a grant from Head Start. Read about it. http://www.acf.dhhs.gov/grants/grants_hsb.html