Sunday, July 10, 2005

Sandwich Trouble

Even though I am a licensed and certified Speech-Language Pathologist, there are certain words I can't say very well. One of those is the name of beloved New Orleans sandwich, the "po' boy." You wouldn't think I'd really need to be able to say that word, but it comes up surprisingly often in conversations with Kev, who gets a kick out of my each and every attempt to say it right. Whenever it's time for me to say "po' boy," I have to pause, and then say the word very slowly and deliberately. If I don't take great care in my articulation of "po' boy," it comes out all wrong, kind of like the "toy boat toy boat" tongue twister. Ironically, I don't even like "po' boys." They generally tend to be dressed with cole slaw. Yuck.
So this morning, this topic came up and led to a discussion about the confusing sandwich terms of North America, including sandwich, hoagie, grinder, sub, and of course po' boy. Kev tried, but failed, to explain the subtle differences to me. I feel sorry for people who come over here and try to learn English. There's too many words that mean basically the same thing.
Then, for the rest of the morning, I was stuck on the Lunchlady Land song by Adam Sandler.

Sloppy joe, slop sloppy joe....

10 comments:

marty said...

I would love to see Kev's dissertation on the difference in sandwich names, I thought the main distinction was simple location of the assembly process. I think the band should have a song featuring tara singing the word PO'boy

Gye Greene said...

Maybe, for the sake of marital harmony, you can just agree to refer to them as "P.B.'s."

But, then Kevin wouldn't have anything to tease you about. ;)


-GG

Gye Greene said...

"Sandwich Trouble" would be a very good band name. One with loud, distorted guitars.

--TG

marty said...

If you refer to them as pb's, I am afraid of what a pb & j would become

Tara said...

Kev has PLENTY to tease me about, believe me.

I think I'm just gonna keep it simple and call 'em all "sandwich."

K. said...

Marty -

sandwich taxonomy is too big of a subject for the confines of a mere blog comment. There are many factors to ponder such as the type of bread, the way the bread is sliced, the choice of meat, etc. Regional varitaions make it all the more confusing. For instance, a Hero and a Hoagie are close cousins, as are a Sub and a Torpedo. On the other hand, there is a world of difference between the Po'Boys, the Grinders, and the Sub family of sandwiches. You wouldn't for instance make a Shrimp Po'Boy using sliced sandwich bread. It just isn't done.

So instead, I will list a few of the Sandwiches for the New Millenium that I invented this weekend.

The GM&M: a grilled mozarella cheese on sourdough sandwich with sauteed mushrooms in the middle, and a side of pesto or marinara dipping sauce

The Happy Jack: beef stew in a partially hollowed-out hoagie roll topped with melted cheese

The Ragin' Cajun: a tortilla-wrap sandwich filled with jambalaya (rice, ham, sausage, shrimp, etc)

The Italian Stallion: chicken marsala on a hoagie roll topped with parmesan cheese

The French Connection: a sandwich of French Toast, strawberry preserves, and sliced bananas, dusted with powdered sugar

The French Connection II: a sandwich of French toast, scrambled egg, bacon or ham, and cheese, served with a side of maple syrup

I will close with a Haiku about sandwiches.

Grinders and Po'Boys
Heros and Hoagies and Subs
Sandwiches are great

-K.

Tara said...

Kev should open a shop! He is a sandwich genius!

Last night I told him he always invents stuff that never comes true. He said, "I am an idea man."

Tara said...

Kev has also invented many Pies for the New Millenium.

They haven't come true either.

john clarke said...

That's some K sandwich genius.

There was a PBS show a few months ago with a really funny name called "Sandwiches That Are Good To Eat" that explored both the history of the sandwich and examined regional sandwiches. It was one hell of a sandwich show. I learned stuff I didn't know such as what a lobster roll is and the origin of the Reuben. The show also hailed the greatness of the Vietnamese sandwich --- a sandwich that I very much admire.

So set the Tivo to record any sandwich related offering and maybe you'll get to see this wonderful exploration of the sandwich.

Tara said...

We saw this show! It featured the famous Louisville "Hot Brown." I loved the show title.