Monday, March 17, 2008

Hello



It all started last Friday morning, actually 2 Fridays ago, when I woke up and saw this. Snow. So we immediately got the Peanut dressed in the warmest outfit we could assemble and took her outside. At first, she didn't want to step on it, but after I demonstrated the fun of stomping around, she joined me in the yard. Not exactly a winter wonderland, but it'll do. Too powdery for a snowman though. Maybe next year.



That afternoon, the snow melted and we went to Oklahoma, where we lived for 3 days in a treehouse. It was a great weekend, spent with good friends. Daphne had kids to play with, and after they all went to sleep, we grown-ups played dominoes and had grown-up people conversations that did not involve snacky-snacks or the Backyardigans. We also went on a safari and went to a big waterfall, and ate Original Fried Pies. These fried pies were so good that I bought four more and brought them home. They are in my freezer. The fried pie lady offered me a lengthy explanation of how to freeze, then thaw, then re-heat my fried pies once I got them home. This explanation, which was delivered with a very very strong small-town Oklahoma accent (think Oh Brother Where Art Thou), ended with these words: "They-ull keep prob-lee six to tee-un days in yer ice-box. (Thoughtful pause, knowing smile) Well, mine never laysted that long cuz they wuz ate." I believe her. This woman was no stranger to fried pies. Friendly as could be, she even gave Kev a small sample of the coconut cream. I have rarely seen him look so happy because of a food. Pictures from our Oklahoma adventure are here if you are interested. You can see the fried pies for yourself!

Since we got back, we have been cramming in as much activity as possible before Kev has to start his new job. Wednesday we went to the zoo. It was kind of a beating, but at least it wasn't too crowded. We've been outside a lot because after last Friday's winter blast, it started getting progressively hotter and hotter, and this past Friday I think it actually hit 90 degrees. Crazy. My allergies do not like all these temperature swings and wind and pollen and I have been feeling yucky all week. But I refuse to get full-on sick, because Kev and Daphne leave for New York in two days, and I have a lot to do while they're gone. But, that's another blog. And so is the Souffle Restaurant, What is the What, the funny list I got at the zoo, and other things I need to catch up on. It's just been hard to blog lately with all the family outings and whatnot.

Anyway, there's a blog for ya. More soon.

5 comments:

Melissa Jo said...

that pic is too cute! snow is fun but i'm sick of it! :(
want your weather!

Julie said...

YEA!!!

fooiemcgoo said...

I liked that story.


please to explain:

1) how it was that you were living in a treehouse for 3 days.

2) what a fried pie is. is it the same as a pie but deep fried?....

oh mama!

Gye Greene said...

"That afternoon, the snow melted and we went to Oklahoma, where we lived for 3 days in a treehouse."

LOL! You make it sound like it was causally related. ("Well, there goes the snow... guess we better go live in a treehouse for a few days. In Oklahoma.")


--GG

Tara said...

The treehouse was a cabin built up into a tree. We rented it for the weekend. Big Fun.

A fried pie is a pastry shell filled with cream or fruit, and then deep fried to a delicious golden crispy goodness. I will post a better picture when I thaw one out and re-heat it.