Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Puff Pastry and Pests


Sometimes for dinner, we just have fruit and cheese and crackers because I don't really feel like cooking. Sometimes, I'll add a little easy appetizer so that I feel less guilty about it. Last night was fruit and cheese and crackers night, so I made this manchego and mushroom puff pastry appetizer to go with it. I love things you can make with puff pastry. So easy. Here is the recipe. I do the "quick and easy variation" at the bottom because I can't be bothered to cut the pastry into little circles. It tastes the same either way. I don't like olives, so I leave those out. I use balsamic vinegar instead of sherry vinegar, and I use a little more mushrooms and cheese than the recipe calls for. I reserve some manchego to sprinkle on top along with some parmesan. Good stuff.


On Monday, we had ants. Every year at this time, the ants find a way in, we battle them for a while, they win, and we call the ant man. This time, they appeared to be coming in through a gap between the floor and the baseboard in the kitchen, so Kev caulked it and we haven't seen any more ants. But if they want to get in, they'll find another way. It's probably just a matter of time.


Then, last night we discovered that there is a squirrel in the wall between the tv room and playroom. Possibly a mother with babies. So now, I am in talks with three different wildlife removal guys about what can be done. Daphne is excited at the prospect of Real Life Animal Rescue happening at our house. I just want it done. I don't like wildlife in the house. You may remember the Thanksgiving Mouse Incident of 2009. Kev said from now on, our anniversary will be known as Squirrel in the Wall Day. Ugh.


Plus, there are scary spiders in the basement.


Anyway, I will let you know how things turn out with the squirrel. I am off to get Daphne away from Special Agent Oso before her brain turns to mush. See ya later.

No comments: