Friday, November 11, 2011

Eleven Eleven Eleven


Happy 11-11-11, and a shout out to all the good Veterans.   It's been busy as usual around here.  Daphne was out of school on Monday and Tuesday, so we had a four-day weekend.  Highlights included a trip to Build-a-Bear workshop and a visit to Our Nation's Capital for museums, planetariums, barbeque with Uncle Jeff, a carousel ride, and ice cream on the National Mall.  Big Fun for a Monday.




It was a beautiful fall day.  We really got lucky with the weather, because now it is cold and windy. I don't mind cold, but I'm not a fan of windy.

The planetarium was cool, but it made me carsick!  And the show we saw was narrated by the very irritating Whoopi Goldberg.  But it was still cool.  Daphne loved it.

We almost didn't get to go to the planetarium, because Kev had his Swiss army knife, which is against the Smithsonian rules.  Don't tell anyone, but he went outside and hid it in the bushes while we went in the museum.  The security guards were very rude.  They were just doing their jobs, but they didn't have to be such jerks about it.  This is the one and only negative thing I can think of to say about the Smithsonian museums.  All of them are really great.  And free.  DC is awesome.

Yesterday was Daphne's 50th day of school, so they had a Fifties Day party.  Daphne's teacher invited me to go, and I'm so glad I did.  It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen.  The kids and teachers dressed up.


There was a dance party, decorations, root beer floats, bubble gum, the limbo, the chicken dance (did they have that in the 50s?):


and some very wheels-off hula-hooping:

I loved every minute of it.  The kids did too.  So dang cute. 

And now, it's Friday again.  I am hoping for a low-key weekend, but not holding my breath.  I am pleased to report that I am about half-way finished with my Christmas shopping, and almost completely prepared for the repeat of last year's popular Advent Bags.  My goal is to be done with as much as possible by December 1st so I can coast through the month.  We shall see.

Anyway, enjoy the weekend, wherever you are.  If you don't have anything to do, make the apple crisp I told you about the other day.  You will not be sorry.

1 comment:

Gye Greene said...

Hiding knife: I've had to do that too -- although I forget for what. I think it was getting in to a stadium concert, and I forgot that I had my pocket knife on me.

Annoying Whoopi Goldberg: Sometimes she can be; most of the time, I think she's fine.


--GG