Monday, December 09, 2013

Decking the Halls


Before we can put up the Christmas tree each year, I have my annual Drag Up Christmas from the Scary Basement Day while Daphne is at school and Kev is working.  I went to Pilates in the morning, and that, I think, it what gave me the strength and energy to accomplish the task.  I don't like the basement.  It's dusty and damp and home to a variety of bugs.  But it's all worth it, because the house is very festive now.  I wish it lasted more than a few weeks.  Then it will be time to Drag it Back Down.


This year, I got a little crafty and made some snow globes with mason jars.  Pretty and cheap.



My owl even got a little handmade hat.  I love yarn!


The stockings were hung, of course.


There are a couple of Nativity interlopers, but they blend in so nicely!


Finally, it was time to put up the tree that we got out at the farm.  Kev put the lights on - a job he LOVES (where is "sarcasm" font when you need it?).  And then, it was time for Daphne to do her very important job:


Ta-da!


The outside of the house has been decked as well, and the snow makes it look even better.  You can't tell in the photo, but I got my window candles this year, which makes me all kinds of happy.


In an attempt to make things more simple this year, I asked my family if they would be OK with not doing the Advent bags.  There was just no way it was going to happen.  So, we decided instead to make a list of some of the things we like to do - things that are usually part of the bags - and just check them off as we go.  Over the weekend, we went to the craft fair, bought a toy to donate to Toys for Tots, listened to the Charlie Brown Christmas CD, picked out a new ornament for the year, and made popovers:


We also went downtown for the First Friday Town Christmas Tree Lighting, which is a story for another post.  And, Kev and I got to trek out to dinner in the snow last night.  So, Christmas is well underway this year, and I'm not going to let it beat me.  I am having a great time.


No comments: