Saturday, October 09, 2004

Great God Almighty, the birds are in charge!


I like birds. Here I am with some macaws, or guacamayas, in Mexico. These birds are apparently endangered in the wild. If the birds really were in charge, I wonder if humans would be endangered, and if so, I wonder if the birds would care.
The other day, Kev and I were taking a walk at White Rock lake. It was a Saturday, and there were tons of runners on the trail. I guess it was some kind of 10-k race or something, because the runners had numbers on. They might as well have been running in the mall parking lot orsomewhere equally as depressing, because they sure weren't appreciating the beauty of the lake. There was a really nice sunrise, and ducks and egrets hanging about, and under a tree there were about 20 little green monk parakeets eating stuff off the ground. How cool is it to see a bunch of parakeets right in the middle of the city? None of the runners even noticed. As we were watching the parakeets, a be-headphoned runner passed us, and I'll be damned if he didn't pass gas audibly 3 or 4 times as he went by. It was shocking. The obnoxiousness of that guy was thankfully balanced out by a good citizen I saw going around with plastic bags picking up trash.
I love living by the lake. I don't go there often enough. It's better during the week when there are no 10-Ks going on. It is a great place to look for new birds to put on one's bird list. So, everyone go to the lake and pay attention to things while you are there. You can see really good stuff if you pay attention sometimes. Posted by Hello

No comments: