Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Rated "N" for negativity.

I would like to apologize in advance, but I need to rant.

This morning, I didn't really enjoy my walk. Partly because it is once again soupy outside. What happened to fall? It is a real drag to sweat on an October morning. Plus there was trash everywhere. Mostly of the fast food container/wrapper variety. Why can't people hang on the their crap and throw it away when they get home? Is it because they don't want their cars to smell of fast food? I've got news for you: It's going to smell anyway from eating greasy old fries in your car, chief! Stop making my neigborhood your personal dumpster. Plus I am sick of looking at all the political signs that are uglying up all the yards. Some of these signs are HUGE. One house had at least 10 signs in front. What is the point? Do you think I am going to decide who to vote for based on your sign? Hmmm, I think I'll vote for FROST. My neighbors seem to think he/she is OK. Man, oh man. I think people just like to advertise their political leanings. Hey, look at me, I'm a Democrat/Republican/Communist! I have been told that some of these signs are for the sake of name recognition, so when people go to the polls, and there are a bunch of people running for judge, they'll pick someone whose name is familiar. This may work for small local elections, although maybe this is a sign that voters are very uninformed, but then why all the Bush and Kerry signs? If you are picking a president because you saw his name on a sign, then we have serious problems. And what happens to all these signs after the election? I'll bet they don't get recycled. Straight to a landfill is my guess. What an incredible waste and an eye-sore at that. Anyway. maybe one of you out there know of a worthwhile reason for all the signs. If so, I am willing to listen to it. Lay it on me, man.
Then, I came over here to my parents house to work, and was greeted with, "Did you know that a vote for Kerry is a vote for partial-birth abortions?" (Deep, heavy sigh). I am so freaking sick and tired of election. My parents, who by the way have no idea who I would vote for, think I am the evil because I don't think GWB is the greatest guy since Jesus. And there is no point trying to have a rational discussion with them about the pros and cons of BOTH candidates. They won't hear a word of it. It's so frustrating. I heard my mom after I left the room say,"Why does she care so much about the environment" and then something about 'liberals" and then "but when it's your own daughter..." and then I heard my dad say," she'll see the error of her ways" or something like that. (My dad is a low-talker...hard to hear). UGH. Two more weeks of this, and then the aftermath, which will either be gloating or constant lamenting about how the end of the world is nigh upon us, depending on the outcome.

Yesterday I was really down, because I came to the conclusion that I am medium. I am sorta OK at lots of things, like cooking, and music, and my job, etc, but I'm not really good at anything. It was a depressing realization. Kev said I am not a medium wife, and I have to admit it made me feel better even though he HAS to say stuff like that. Then I made a really good dinner and felt even better. And we finished our salsa song and it sounds really good, especially thanks to Mixmaster K, so things aren't all bad. But it's been a tough couple of days.

I am NOT going to let any of this affect my groove. And I promise a more positive blog next time around. Thanks for listening.

3 comments:

Robert_M said...

I for one enjoy the negativity. Hammer's fault on the trash.

R

Larry Feathers said...

I like to hear about the pros and cons of all of the different candidates. I'm pretty well aware of the pros and cons of Bush, and I am amazed by the cons of Kerry. Please, someone, fill me in on the pros of Kerry. Certainly it's not good that he stands by quietly while his goons super-impose the President's face on a Special Olympian with a caption saying that Bush voters are "retarded". It's also probably not good to run around telling everyone there is going to be a draft if Bush is elected. Especially when it was a couple of DEMs that introduced such legislation to begin with! Or what about the flyers showing a fireman squirting a black guy with his fire hose with the caption "This is the way Republicans used to keep people from voting."

I, too, am sick of the crap. And I'm thankful that I basically disagree with practically everything Kerry says because I definitely don't approved of the tactics those people employ. I couldn't like Kerry even if I agreed with him. (I also know that the Republicans aren't above campaign baffoonery, but it doesn't compare.)

You aren't medium. You are extraordinary. Unfortunately your extraordinarily intelligence and ability is neutralized by how extraordinarily beaten down and stressed out you become when any topic not having to do with birds comes up. That's what makes you medium. Usually you just give up. I don't get it. I just think it's too bad.

Robert_M said...

Those aren't luke warm!