Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Kitchen Dilemma: Please Advise

I don't really like Chinese food all that much, but every now and then I'll make a stir fry because it is pretty easy, and a good way to get my vegetables. I usually make lemon chicken using a spice packet for the sauce. It's not very good. Last night, I made a chicken stir fry by marinating the chicken in the sauce from the Noh Stir Fry sauce packet, and then used a bottled stir fry sauce from Central Market Asian aisle for cooking. (I use packets and bottles because I don't think I have enough understanding of Chinese food to try to do my own sauce). Anyway, it was very bland, and not at all satisfying to eat. I felt sad after dinner. Dinner time should not make people feel sad. I mean, it'll never be as happy as breakfast time (unless Kev makes eggplant parm or gumbo), but still. Is there a secret to stir fry sauce? Is there a good packet or bottled sauce out there, or do I need to just make my own? Do you have a recipe for a good stir fry sauce? Do any of you know how to make a good Vietnamese coconut curry sauce?

Maybe I should just stick to grilled cheese sandwiches. I almost never mess those up.

3 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Kikkoman-brand soy sauce is a good start. :) It's ''real'' Japanese stuff.

In my experience, Chinese soy sauce is sweeter than Jp. soy sauce -- so it depends what it's after.

My dad uses what he refers to as ''wet pants sauce'' -- because that's what it smells like when you first pour it on. But it cooks out nicely. I'm pretty sure it's oyster sauce.

Also, try some Hosin (sp?) sauce. It's what you get at Vietnamese restaurants, when you order Pho (the noodle soups).

Grilled cheese sandwiches: No shame in indulging in robust ''comfort food''. :)

--GG

john clarke said...

I've made this before --- it's good and easy. I've also learned that anytime Chinese food is too bland, add red pepper flakes to it. Problem solved.

TERIYAKI CHICKEN AND NOODLES
Offer a salad of snow peas and sliced radishes in a ginger vinaigrette. End with oranges and almond cookies.
Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.




8 ounces dried oriental noodles (such as soba or udon) or linguine, broken in half
1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick strips
6 green onions, sliced on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
1 carrot, peeled, very thinly sliced on diagonal
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
6 tablespoons purchased teriyaki sauce





Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain well; return to pot. Add sesame oil and toss to coat.

Heat vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and sauté until no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Add sliced green onions, carrot and crushed red pepper. Stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender but still bright in color and chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Add noodles and teriyaki sauce and toss to blend well.

2 servings; can be doubled.
Bon Appétit
May 1998

Gye Greene said...

I agree with the suggestion to use sesame oil. Just that by itself, over vegetables, adds a full flavor. :)

--TG