Monday, March 20, 2006

March Madness

It has been a little stressful around here the last couple of weeks, as I have had some minor medical issues to deal with related to the pregnancy. All is well though, and the Peanut and I are both doing just fine. I am feeling good and only have 10 or 12 weeks to go.

On Sautrday morning, the skies opened up, and it rained almost non-stop for 48 hours. We spent most of the weekend on the couch, talking and playing music and reading (I read a whole novel on Saturday!) and it was great. We usually have errands or projects or chores or decisions, but this weekend, we just took it easy. I needed it. By Sunday afternoon, our street was like a river and our backyard was like a swamp. I'll bet there was at least 5 or 6 inches of water covering the back yard. Something went wrong at the lake, and it flooded the surrounding area. It finally stopped raining late Sunday afternoon, and we were stir crazy, so we went to the coffee shop and played canasta for a while. On the way, we saw a few abandoned cars that had been flooded out, and some road blocks set up by police. It was pretty wild, especially by the lake. When we got home, we watched a cheesy Sherlock Holmes movie and had a baby name discussion. It was a very relaxing weekend, not very productive, but relaxing.

The baby naming is quite a difficult thing. The problem is, I have a favorite name that I love but Kev only kinda sorta likes. And Kev has a favorite name that he loves, but I only kinda sorta like. We have a few names that we both like, but they are a few notches down on the list. And we can't put the two names we love together because they don't sound good together. Besides, if we did that, one of us would get stuck with the middle name, and it would disappear into oblivion. No one ever knows your middle name unless you are walking across the stage at some sort of graduation, filling out a form of some kind, or getting in trouble by your parents ("Tallulah Peanut Holt, don't you make me have to stop this car!"). So you could have the coolest middle name ever, and it would just be wasted.

That reminds me of one time when I was a kid and I was going around town with my cousins in my Aunt Sarah's gremlin and my cousin Curt was being bad, so Sarah stopped the car right in the middle of the main drag in our little town and just sat there. It was really embarrassing. When you're a kid, you always think that the stopping the car thing is just an idle threat, but some people actually haul off and do it. And it just seems extra bad in a gremlin for some reason.

Anyway, I went to the library today and got a couple of different baby name books. I intend to sit down tonight, armed with some antibacterial gel and a pen and paper, and look through them. The search goes on!

Today it is beautiful, so I just took a walk around the neighborhood to survey the flood damamge. It isn't too bad really. And I have some very happy tulips in the front yard. It was a little too windy for my liking though, and this did not help my hay-head. I now look like a cross between Roseanne Rosannadanna and that witch from the Bugs Bunny cartoons who loses all the bobby pins when she flies around on her broom.

I wonder if my hair will ever go back to normal.

5 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Lazy weekend: Well, sometimes relaxing is accomplishing something. Just depends on the desired outcome. (e.g. ''feeling better'') ;)

Library books: Latex gloves?

Middle names: Well, **some** people go by their middle name. Knew a guy who was named after his dad, so from day-dot the family all called him by his middle name. And C. Everett Koop, the Surgeon General guy? And my old pastor, who abbreviated his first name and went by his middle name. I'm sure there's others... ;)

--GG

whitneydonkey said...

the name will come to you in time.
I don't know about lyric though.
got any fav literary heroines????

as for hay-hair, well you never knew why alot of moms have shorter hair. you thought we were lazy, huh?

remember, hattie was eloise and stella was georgia ruth at one time!

Bleach said...

Keep in mind that Kevin by default got to pick the babies last name and yours for that matter. Sorry Kevin.

marty said...

I'm with GG if you both feel confident about your individual naming skillz, the Peanut's middle name might be the one that moves into general usage. Or (though more prevelant with a male) the intials might take over like TJ,PJ, JFK or RPC. I would say try and spell something out with her initials but 3 letter words ending in H are difficult. There is also the advent of nicknames which may or may not be related to their actual name Lefty, Dizzy, Holtie, Shorty, Red, or Peanut. Perhaps you can place a LRHS poll with several of the prospective names and let this American democracy. work

Gye Greene said...

Perhaps her initials could spell out ''PAH!''; or ''HEH!'' (amusement!).

Or ''GAH'', for the very good '80s t.v. show, ''The Greatest American Hero''. ;)


--TG