Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Brave New World

OK, so here's the deal. We're moving. To Virginia. Things have been really chaotic lately and blogging has had to fall to the bottom of the priority list. But, it's nice to know I've been missed, and I will try to blog more.

In a nutshell, here is what has been going on: Kev got a job offer at the beginning of August for a full time postion doing rocket stuff for a company in Northern Virginia, just outside Washington DC. We had to make some quick and very very difficult decisions. We flew up to VA to do a whirlwind house-hunting expedition, which was stressful and defeating. The last day we were there, we found a house we both loved. So, after lots and lots of fretting and hand-wringing and going over and over the pros and cons, we decided to make an offer on the house and accept the new job. This has been really hard on us and on my family, who thankfully will probably be able to move up and join us in a year or so. Meanwhile, we went on vacation to New York. The whole time we were there, Kev was sick and I was sad, and we were trying to deal with real estate wheeling and dealing, but we managed to squeeze in some fun by hanging out with the family and going to the Dutchess County Fair for milkshakes and the Fun Slide, and we got to celebrate the upcoming arrival of our new neice or nephew, which we can't wait for. And the last night, Kev and I went to the movies. We saw Pineapple Express, which was funny, but not as funny as Superbad.

All of this happened over a 2 and a half week span. We flew to VA on a Monday, back to Dallas on that Friday, were welcomed home by the delightful aroma of a deceased Pancho under our crawlspace hatch, got up at 3:30 the next morning and flew to NY, and then back home 9 days later. That's 4 flights. In two weeks. And you all know how I feel about flying.

On top of all that, I turned 40, but I've hardly had time to catch my breath, much less dwell on that.

Since we got home, there has been more wheeling and dealing, lots of cleaning and packing and arranging for landscapers and fence guys and handymen, and Daphne has chosen this week to have a terrible two relapse. I think maybe things will settle down by Thanksgiving. That may be optimistic.

So, we are excited, sad, and nervous about this move. As much as I complain about Dallas, it has been my home for 30 years and I am going to miss it. And even though I know my family will join us eventually, it is going to be extremely hard to leave them. Please try to consider their feelings and be sensitive in your comments.

Sorry about the lack of blogging. I will do better. Next time, I'll try to post some pictures of something happy and/or interesting. Photos from our NY trip on Flickr if you want to see.

Thanks for being patient.

3 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Hey, no problem on the lack of blogging: It's Tara's show; Tara sets the schedule. :)

Ooh. Exciting stuff, the moving. Any garage sale in the works?

Good luck on all the moving and such. On the bright side: At least Daphne's not in school, yet (i.e. doesn't have to change schools).


--GG

Melissa Jo said...

I think that's great your family will be joining you soon! I would give anything if my family could move near me! What a busy time this is! And aren't the terrible two tantrums the BEST! :)

summer pickles said...

wow... i've been out of touch for too long. so much news!

first things first --- happy birthday lovely! i hope it was a good one and you enjoyed the celebrations.

am wishing you all the very best with the move. these moves away from family and friends can be tough, but can introduce you to so many new wonderful friends, places and experiences.

funny how little people know when things are going on, even if they don't "understand" them like grown ups... not surprised she has been a bit off this week.

hope you went ok with ike, too.

take care xo