Friday, September 05, 2008

Knitting through the Pain



During all the fretting that's been going on, one way I have kept myself sane is by knitting like a maniac. The three projects in this post were made for Kim and Marty's baby-on-the-way (whom Daphne has named "Blueberry"). It was tricky coming up with gender-neutral projects that I liked, but in the end, I chose the hat above, made with sock-monkey yarn, a nice alpaca cream-colored blankie, and a neutral cotton washcloth. If the baby is a girl, I think I'll probably make a small flower to decorate the hat a little and make it more feminine.




I actually did quite a bit of knitting on the plane, which along with the sedatives, seemed to help a lot in keeping me calm. I have a couple new projects in the works, which I will show you when they're done. I am learning a lot through all this, and becoming a better knitter, so that's good. I am already panicking about being 1000 miles away from my favorite yarn store, and my friend Emily who always knows how to help me in a knitting crisis.

3 comments:

Bleach said...

While reading your post, I couldn't help but visualize a team of archeologists digging through the bits and pieces of our civilization years from now.

"Here folks....I believe...Is a bit..Is it? Oh YES, it is...A bit of Sock Monkey Yarn...Used by the Texan people to remain calm in times of great distress."

I like the hat.

Gye Greene said...

T,


You're a talented person. :)

(Possible blog entry: List all your artsy skills?)


Are you at the level where you can start teaching weekend seminars?

--GG

Tara said...

Brad, that would make me so proud!

GG - Thanks. I think I could teach people how to get started knitting, but the problem is, I wouldn't be able to help them if they made mistakes. When I mess up, I usually have to get help from someone, or start over.