Friday, September 05, 2008

Stinkers


My Favorite Picture
Originally uploaded by Tara H.
Yesterday I took Daphne to an indoor playground. There were a couple "big kids" there (about 4 years old). Daphne boldly went up to them, and said "What are you doing?" And the girl said to the boy, "Let's go over here where SHE won't bother us." Then later, Daphne said to the big boy, "Do you want to play with me?" and the big boy said, "No" and walked away. I wanted to trip him. And his mom.

The Peanut is trying so hard to learn about the social world, but I can tell it isn't easy for her. She only wants to play with big kids, and they won't give her the time of day. Poor kid.

The whole thing didn't seem to bother her, fortunately. It was way more upsetting to me than it was to her.

Keep trying, little Peanut.

3 comments:

Melissa Jo said...

OH MY GOSH! the heartbreak! seriously! i feel the same way when 'big' kids do that to alex. and al always wants to play with others! motherhood can be so painful sometimes can't it?

Gye Greene said...

That's sad! (And, great "sad" photo.)

Negotiating the social jungle...


Well, maybe being rejected by older kids will make her a nicer, more inclusive older kid herself. (Although it seems that much of it comes down to the parenting.) :)

Drives me nutty when other parents don't look after their kids at playgrounds, etc. - just sit there gabbing with other parents, or talking on their cell phones. If other people's kids are acting up and their own parents are oblivious, I tend to (gently) reprimand the kid. I'm waiting for the day some parent gets indignant over that: My response will be, "Well, if you were actually parenting your kid, then other people wouldn't have to!"


--GG

fooiemcgoo said...

GG:
that reminds me of somekind of repremanding you did to some kid in the checkout line that i really admired.


-tara:
i, too, feel the same way. I was told that a kid was wacking my girl in the head and "picking" on her yesterday. I really wanted to whoop that little turd.

on the other hand, you can't protect your kids from such things. that'll only make things worse.

i still hate the little turdballs.