Monday, October 18, 2010

Getting Away

This is Fossil Beach, on the Potomac River near the Chesapeake Bay. It is located in Westmoreland State Park near Montross, VA. We went there with friends over the weekend to "camp" in a cabin:
Ralph went, too.

We all had a great time, but Daphne had the Best Time EVER. She spent the weekend playing in the sand and dirt, wading in the water, collecting rocks and shells, playing with her friends, and best of all, eating roasted marshmallows and s'mores. Kev and I enjoyed all that too, but my favorite part was being away from home and sitting on the cabin porch without worrying about all the things I SHOULD be doing. That, and the s'mores. Well, actually, the s'Nores, which are s'mores made with Nutella instead of Hershey bars. Try them. You will thank me.

My least favorite things were cutting the heck out of my finger and dropping my socks in the toilet.

Lots of pictures here on Flickr if you want to see what it's like in the park. I totally recommend it as a weekend destination. The park and cabins were really nice and reasonably priced.

And a bonus: the park was just a few miles from George Washington's birthplace, so we got to stop there on the way home. Daphne earned a Junior Ranger badge, and she thought it was pretty awesome. She had to take an oath and everything:

I love America's National Park System. It was a good weekend.

No easing back into the routine for me. Today, I went with Daphne to Great Country Farm for her school field trip to the pumpkin patch. We had a big time picking pumpkins, feeding farm animals, chasing chickens, climbing stuff, and watching pig races.



I think tonight, I might go sit on my porch and pretend I'm still at the cabin. The laundry can wait, right?

2 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Dropping sock in the toilet: I'm sure there's an amusing backstory to that.

Glad you had a good trip! :)


--GG

Gye Greene said...

Oh: And, sorry to hear about your finger.


--GG