Thursday, August 30, 2012

On Foam and Pipe Cleaners

I guess maybe I'm feeling a little bad about my rant in the previous post.  Perhaps there is something going on in the Screamer's life that I don't know about that made her behave so horribly.  In spite of having a really terrible attitude, she DID work hard, so I have to give her credit for that.  She also DID plan the entire week of camp crafts by herself, so some credit there too.  But not much.  Because it is the above "craft," modeled by Patrick the Dog, that I just can't get past.  A strip of foam, stapled together, and "embellished" with two pipe cleaners.  This is what she took the whole summer to plan.  This is what the kids took home to their parents, and quite frankly, it makes me feel really embarrassed.  As a member of the Arts and Crafts team I feel ashamed, because it reflects on all of us when one member screams at the girls and sends home, well, crap.  Oh dear.  I'm ranting again.  And the thing is, she didn't HAVE to plan the whole week of crafts by herself.  There were three other adults and 6 teen aides on the team that could have, and would have, helped.  The Girl Scout Law says "use resources wisely."  The Screamer did not. 

A little girl at camp came into the arts and crafts area for her 2nd or 3rd visit of the week, and saw all the foam and pipe cleaners on the table (again), ready to be made into the fashionable accessory above.  She looked at me sadly and said, "Are we ever going to make God's Eyes?

I just hung my head.

Anyway, that's the last I will say on the subject.  I promise.  All I can do is let it go, and strive to do a better job with my own troop.  And possibly hijack the arts and crafts center at camp next year.  And if I do, little girl, yes there WILL be God's Eyes.

3 comments:

Gye Greene said...

God's Eyes are really, really neat-o.

Hope you manage to grab a position of leadership in the next year's Arts & Crafts booth. :)


--GG

Gye Greene said...

Also: wouldn't have been too hard to make pipecleaner glasses, plus fold a croissant-shaped piece of foam into a nose shape (make the seam up the top ridge, then connect to the glasses), and two foam rectangles for eyebrows (also connect to the glasses).

And now you have some Groucho glasses. ;)


--GG

Gye Greene said...

...except that pipecleaners have pointy ends. So maybe it's dangerous to make glasses from them. Maybe paperboard instead...?


--GG