Monday, February 04, 2013

A Better Pace


This weekend, things were sort of back to normal.  No one was sick.  There was a good balance of getting things done, relaxing, and doing fun stuff.  On Saturday night, after a day of errands, we had a Clone Wars marathon, and then Daphne and Kev camped out in the attic.   On Sunday, we drove to Maryland for breakfast.  Just barely Maryland.  Less than a mile in.  We went to Beans in the Belfry, which is right across the river in Brunswick.  I had biscuits and gravy.  I have been craving biscuits and gravy, and these did not disappoint.  It's funny, though, that I had to leave a confederate state just to get some good southern food.  The part of Virginia where I live is definitely not part of The South.  What it lacks in biscuits, however, it more than makes up for in scenery.  On our way to Brunswick, we drove through the country and saw wineries and farms and sheep and alpacas.  Even in the middle of winter, it's pretty out there.


We had a little bit of snow off and on throughout the weekend.  Nothing you could play in, but it was pretty.  This is the winery where I go for my pilates classes.  It's beautiful out there, and sometimes you can hear the hounds running in the woods and it sounds like wolves.  The guy next to the winery keeps hounds.  There are owls out there too.  We work out up in the loft of the barn.  Much nicer than a yucky old fluorescent-lit smelly gym.  This is about 8 minutes from my house.  I suppose I could just make my own biscuits and gravy.

I have learned to play the Cotton Eyed Joe on the fiddle.  It's fun to play because it's pretty easy and really loud. We have band practice next weekend, and as usual I am not prepared.  Band practice is stressful for me because I have the loudest and least forgiving instrument, so when I mess up (which is a LOT), it messes up the whole song.  When the other guys mess up, no one even notices.  This wouldn't matter so much if we were just playing for our own amusement, but there is a little bit of a push to play an open-mic.  I think I'd rather have a shot in the eyeball than screw up on the fiddle in front of a bunch of people. 

I'd also rather have a shot in the eyeball than fly on a plane, but Kev has recently introduced the possibility of taking a trip to Dallas, which I really want to do.  I wish I was a normal person.  I was sort of starting to psyche myself up to go, but then I saw a thing on the news this morning about planes having lithium batteries that catch on fire, and no one is bothering to do anything about it.  I wish there was a fast train to Texas.  I can get REALLY good biscuits and gravy there.

OK...Off to start my week.  The laundry awaits.

3 comments:

jilly donuts said...

I bet before you actually had shots in your eyeball, you wouldn't have chosen that option...Best bet is to stop watching the news!

Gye Greene said...

Interesting -- didn't know you had a thing against airplanes.

But -- being "normal" is over-rated. And regarding not flying, you're in good company: Isaac Asimov refused to fly, turning down any speaking engagements farther than a short train ride from New York.

--GG

Gye Greene said...

And people who are "normal" are far less interesting.

--GG