Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Strange Days


On Monday, school was canceled due to ice.  On Tuesday, it was 70 degrees.  Kevin came home early and we took a walk downtown while we waited for Daphne's bus.  We went by Shoes (the coffee shop) to read the signs on the windows.  It closed down mysteriously right after Christmas.  The windows are covered with butcher paper, and pieces of paper with nonsensical rants are posted in random spots.  There are allusions to re-opening, but it's all so crazy that I'm suspicious.

Daphne came home yesterday with a bad headache, which was disappointing because I was hoping she could play outside.  Today, it is rainy and warm, threatening to storm.  Friday, it might snow again.

The kids in Daphne's class keep getting sick.  So I keep getting sick.  First, it was the pink eye.  Then, it was this bad cold that wasn't quite the flu.  Luckily, we have not gotten the evil stomach thing I keep hearing about.  But I'll take all these things.  It's just part of the deal.  I can handle it.  However, there IS one thing I CAN'T handle.  It is the only thing that ever for a second sets me teetering on the edge of "Let's Just Home-School" Cliff.  And THAT is the threat of lice.  Pink eye?  Fine.  Flu?  Bring it on.  But please for the love of all that is good in this world, don't let her bring home the lice.

Kevin's sister is a 4th grade teacher on Long Island, and someone brought the lice into her classroom.  I think they were contained, thank goodness, before they got on her.  Kevin's mom subsequently sent me an email about some special rosemary Fairy Tale shampoo that is supposed to help keep them away.  I ordered some immediately.  It arrived yesterday.  It will be used.  Soon.  This is a no lice zone.  Do you know how many stuffed animals we have??!!  Ugh.

Kevin's same sister, along with her husband and two sons, participated recently in Ride the NYC Subway in Your Underpants Day.  Isn't that funny?  Now THAT takes guts.  Especially in January.  Definitely something I would never do A) because I am way too modest, and B) because there is no way I'm sitting on subway seats with no pants on.  Imagine the germs!!!  I bet my nephews thought it was pretty fun though.  That's something you can do with little boys, but that becomes kinda questionable with little girls.  At any given moment, there is a certain percentage of weirdos on the NYC subway, so bringing your little girl on there in her undies doesn't seem like a good idea.

At the very top of this post is the beginning of the first sleeve of my owl sweater.  My goal is to be able to wear it on the first cool day of Fall 2013.  So, I am going to sign off now and knit for a few minutes before Daphne comes home.  Let's hope she is ailment- (and critter-) free!

No comments: