Thursday, December 07, 2006

Fa La La La La

So, every time I drive my dad's car, I am treated to the all-Christmas-songs-all-the-time radio station, which I don't mind so much in small doses. I like the classic Christmas songs, but I can't listen to the generic pop-star versions of classics, like Beyonce doing White Christmas or Carrie Underwood doing I'll be Home for Christmas, or Celine Dion doing, well, anything. But what's even worse is the generic pop-star doing a generic NEW Christmas song. Those songs are so lame and boring. For example, I keep hearing a Bryan Adams one about every day being Christmas, and it is just awful. And don't even get me started on the Kelly Clarkson one.

I'd like to put the challenge out there for someone to write a new Christmas song that is actually good, and not full of cliches and general sappiness. I am not sure it can be done.

Here are my top three Christmas songs in no particular order:

Oh, Holy Night sung by Kev's dad on Christmas Eve.
Christmas Time is Here (Vince Guaraldi/Peanuts)
and
The Chipmunk Song of course.

What are your favorites? (shameless attempt for comments, I know...please forgive me. I am stuck without a car for a few days, and Kev has banned me from checking the mail, and the Peanut isn't the greatest conversationalist, so this is just about all I've got).

5 comments:

marty said...

Big Bing Crosby fan... Christmas in Killarney, Mele Kalikimaka, and Adeste Fideles just to name a few. I also like the songs from Emmet Otter but i guess they are not exactly Christmas songs.

fooiemcgoo said...

"Christmas in Hollus" by Run DMC is a pretty cool song that is recent. if you like rap music, that is.

i pretty well hate the chimpmunks song. i am sorry.

I think my favorite song is "carol of the bells". or "bell carol" i think that is what it is called.

I also like it when my ol dad sings "Oh Tananbaum" in german. If you knew my dad that would be at least a little funny.

END.

Julie said...

I LOVE the Carpenters Christmas- and get ready- yes- Anne Murray- I think that comes from my dad liking it- and of course all of Amy Grant's Christmas cds. I am going to have to start bringing my ipod back to work.

Tara said...

I love Bing Crosby too...I'd like to add his duet with David Bowie on Little Drummer Boy to my list of favorites. Dean Martin's Christmas songs are good too. And I LOVE Christmas in Hollis. I think I am going to make myself a Run DMC T-shirt. Thanks Foo.

We listened to the Carpenters Christmas while we put up the tree this year. That's a good one.

Gye Greene said...

Rolf Harris -- ''Eight White Boomers'' (''boomers'' are big kangaroos; the idea being that Down Under, Santa swaps over from reindeer to kangaroos); cute song, reasonably catchy, little kids [and Mr. Rogers] would like it. :)

John Williamson -- ''Christmas Photo''; about how it's all hot and they're BBQ-ing and they keep trying to line everyone up for a photo, but someone's off doing something else.

You might possibly like John Williamson's stuff: Aussie folk (country?) singer, some good environmental songs (he sang at Steve Irwin's funeral), good catchy stuff (best known for ''Home Among the Gum Trees''. [lyrics at -- http://www.lyricsdownload.com/john-williamson-home-among-the-gum-tree-s-lyrics.html ]

Oddly, can't find much of his stuff on djangos.com -- but Amazon has the ''Family Album'' CD -- which has both of the afore-mentioned songs -- plus some audio examples of each -- at http://www.amazon.com/Family-Album-John-Williamson/dp/B00006JRSI/sr=1-10/qid=1165544370/ref=sr_1_10/105-0719246-0479614?ie=UTF8&s=music (would prefer referring you to djangos.com, but sadly their John Williamson selection is too tiny).


About five ''Christmas albums'' (song parodies) from Bob Rivers -- http://www.djangomusic.com/artist_music.asp?pid=P++++33249 I can only vouch for the (1993) **I Am Santa Claus** album. Some songs are better than others, so it's handy if your CD player has a ''program'' function. ''Walking 'Round in Winter Underwear'' is a play on ''Winter Wonderland'', but from a cross-dresser's point of view (''Later on//If you wanna//We can dress//Like Madonna//Put on some eyeshade, and join the parade//Walkin' 'round in women's underwear''). ''I Am Santa Claus'' is a witty re-doing of Black Sabbath's ''Iron Man''; and ''Jingle Hells Bells'' is in the style of AC/DC [Aussie band!!!], although not a specific copy of a specific song [I think].


Howzzat? Something different, at least. ;)


--GG