Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Drumroll, Please...



Tara is actually going to blog!

I have neglected my blog for a long time, so I am going to quickly update if I can before the Peanut wakes up.

So, we are about halfway through Kev's second week as a "Man of Leisure." It has been nice having him home, and we have done lots of family activities. I have also been cooking. Below is experimental Stuffed Artichokes from my New Orleans cookbook. They were good, but I will probably never make them again. Artichokes are a real pain to work with, and they proved in this case to be really only a vehicle for the stuffing, which was excellent. Next time, I will stuff mushrooms with it instead.



Our big outing last week was DOWNTOWN. We took the Peanut on the train, which is fun but is also a breeding ground for germs of all kinds and I was paranoid that we would all get sick. So far, we have survived. We got off the train at the West End, and wandered our way to the Dallas World Aquarium, via Downtown Corn Dog (below).




I could kick myself for not following the directions on the door, and getting N there for a corn dog. (I later read a review of the place that said it's very good!). The funny thing is, you can tell it used to be called Downtown CornyDog, but they scratched out the "Y." I guess they thought Corn Dog is a little classier.





Anyway, we made it to the Aquarium, which is a great place to go. There's me and the Peanut in a fish tank above. Fun times. Except when the toucan flew right at Daphne's face (it was behind a plexiglass panel) and she screamed like she saw Freddy Kruger. I am happy to report that nobody got pooped on by the Spoonbill this time.





After the aquarium, we walked to the House of Blues for lunch. Daphne was wearing the right hat for it! Man, oh man, do I love the House of Blues! It is a really cool place, and the food is terrific. It was a big day, and Daphne was wiped out.

Saturday night, Daphne spent the night with Gma and Gpa so Kev and I could go out. We had big plans to go bowling, but when we got to the place, there was a 2 hour wait, so we went to the Studio Movie Grill instead, and got tickets to the movie that was starting next. Unfortunately, this movie was "Vantage Point" and it was one of the worst movies we've ever seen. On top of a really gimmicky plot, there was a car chase scene that lasted about 30 minutes. It was really loud and stressful, and there were tons of scary crashes and by the time we left, my nerves were shot. But, at least I got to hang out with Kev and have a BBQ chicken wrap and sweet potato fries.

Sunday morning, Kev and I went back to the House of Blues for their Sunday Gospel Brunch. The food again was awesome, and included things like cheese grits and bread pudding. There was a big show on the stage...several large African-American women singing very shouty music about Jesus, while waving scarves all about. It was fun. Definitely something you don't see every day.








Yesterday, we went to the Arboretum for a picnic because it was 80 DEGREES. In February! More big fun. Daphne ran and ran. I got to see the first tulips of the year. So pretty.















Now I am tired. I need a day off from fun. Today it is windy and cold out. I am going to go take a little rest now.
Tomorrow night I am going to dinner with a couple of friends to a restaurant that is All Souffles, All the Time. I will report back.
So long for now.





1 comment:

Gye Greene said...

Great kid; great hat; great drum kit photo.

A highly worthy blog entry. :)


--GG