Sunday, February 17, 2008

Happiness in a 9 x 13



Officially, Kev's position on Valentine's Day is "against." This is based on it being a made-up holiday pushed upon us by the people of Russell Stover, Hallmark, Zales, and the like. I am pretty sure that a quick search of Wikipedia would prove that Valentine's Day was around long before "Every Kiss Began with Kay (sic)", but I can see his point. All that being said, Kev always gets me a nice gift and gives it to me the day before so as not to be accused of participating in the madness.

This year, he gave me a cookbook from Williams Sonoma's series of cookbooks from cities around the world. I got New Orleans, which is where we spent our honeymoon, and is the city, in my opinion, that has the best food on the planet. Williams Sonoma cookbooks are great because in addition to good recipes, there are lots and lots of pictures. It's a really nice gift.

So, I decided to try some of its recipes over the weekend, and I made variations of a grilled chicken in the book, and some fried bananas as well. But the best, BEST thing I made was a Cheese Grits Souffle. Oh my gosh. Just when you think cheese grits can't get any better, you find out it can be made into a SOUFFLE! I swear, I would have been happy if the grits were the whole meal. It was like eating a fluffy cloud of happiness. I know all the clouds in Heaven are made of Cheese Grits Souffle. I am tempted to make Saturday night officially Cheese Grits Souffle night at our house. Just look at them up there, all puffy and steamy and golden and cheesy.

So, happy Valentine's Day to me...I don't think Kev knew just what a great anti-Valentine he was giving me.

2 comments:

Gye Greene said...

The Lady agrees with your assessment re: cookbooks. If there's no pics (or too few of them), she won't get the cookbook. :)


--GG

Julie said...

Yumm- you will have to share that recipe!