Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Too Cranky to Blog





Looking at all these pictures, you'd think it was spring. And although the calendar says it IS officially spring, it isn't really. Not around here. It is cold. And cloudy. And soon it will start to rain, and maybe even snow a little. So I have been in a bad mood. I am tired of cold. I want to go outside and take walks and eat on the porch and ride my bike. I want to put away all the coats and hats that are hanging by the back door and driving me nuts. Anyway, I haven't felt much like blogging lately, and there hasn't been that much to blog about, really. I hope this is temporary.


A couple of quick things. We had the frozen tortellini that I made with the leftover butternut squash filling and the wonton wrappers. They were great! The wrappers worked out just fine. This is what they looked like:


I cannot wait to make this again. I very very highly recommend it. Giada never lets me down. I also made some of Bobby Flay's "apple pie oatmeal" over the weekend, but I forgot to take a picture. I saw him make it on his "Brunch at Bobby's" show, and it looked good. I have to say, it was a little on the sweet side for me, so next time I'll cut back on the sugar. But the steel cut oats were awesome and totally worth the time it took to cook them. The difference between instant oatmeal and steel cut oatmeal is like the difference between fried bologna and a juicy steak. Next time, I'll probably just make the oatmeal and throw in some blueberries and a little brown sugar. Yum. And good for the heart! Oatmeal is a Super Food! Anyway, here is the original Bobby Flay recipe. It is kind of fun to make. There is brulee-ing with a kitchen torch to make it interesting. (That's how he did it on the show anyway. I think the recipe says to put it under the broiler. Impress your kids and use a torch if you have one.)



Kevin and I went to see The Adjustment Bureau over the weekend. It was an interesting movie. A little hokey at times, but still pretty good. It makes you think, anyway. We also saw The Wrestler on PPV, which was very good, although not the most uplifting of movies. I can't believe that was Mickey Rourke in that movie. He looked like a totally different person. What a performance, though. He was great. I covered my head with my quillow during all that staple gun business. So disturbing.



OK, well, I will try to be back and in a better mood sometime soon. Soccer season starts this weekend. Hopefully there won't be snow. Snow in April is unacceptable. But I guess it's better than 90+ temperatures in October. Perhaps we'll have a nice mild summer this year. And maybe all this cold will make there be fewer bugs. I am starting to feel better already. Thank you, blog.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Yeah, L's softball opener is tomorrow, but we're bailing. They're not even playing, just standing around for an hour and a half for some 'Opening Day' ceremony. I think it's all a bunch of bologna! Just let them play! Anyway, Wade's bike team is bailing on their race in WV this weekend due to the weather so we're all going to hang out tomorrow.


As for your feelings about the cold, I'm right there with you. I'm so sick of it too! On the flip side, the stink bugs I saw a few weeks ago have disappeared, so i guess there's one thing to be happy about.

BTW, that Giada pasta dish looked good. I made one of hers yesterday and it was okay. It was a spaghetti with beef, basil and almonds. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. We still willingly had it for leftovers tonight, but I'm not sure I'll make it again. TTYL.