Monday, March 07, 2011

Weekend Review

There was more painting.
We took our houseguest, Flat Lauren, on a bike ride to the playground for a picnic:
and some slide races (Daphne won):
Kev and I went out for a Mardi Gras dinner and some Dixieland Jazz at the Cajun Experience.  We ate some delicious gumbo, and enjoyed the band,  Laissez-Foure,  very much.  It was almost like being in New Orleans for a couple hours.  And we can WALK there from our house.  I love that.

I tried a new recipe this weekend for Pork Ragu (recipe here).  It was really good and EXTREMELY easy.  We had it twice over the weekend, and there is still enough for another meal tomorrow.  Yay!  Here are the changes I made to the recipe:  Wegman's didn't have boneless pork shoulder, so I used 3 pounds of boneless country ribs.  I don't think it made much difference, except the country ribs appeared to have a lot less fat.  I don't like tomatoes, so I used tomato sauce instead.  And I didn't have chili sauce, so I used a little barbecue sauce and a few splashes of tabasco.  The meat was very moist and had lots of flavor, although I think I may add some garlic next time.  Anyway, it took about 10 minutes to make...then it just goes in the oven for 3-4 hours.  Easy.  And Daphne liked it, so into the rotation it goes.

Speaking of good food, I went to dinner last week with one of my neighbors.  We decided to try Travinia, the new Italian place near Wegman's.  I had butternut squash ravioli, from the "small plates" menu and it was one of the best things I've ever had.  And just a few minutes ago, Giada made a very similar dish on her show.  So, I am planning to make this VERY soon.  I will report back.  So excited about this.

I am also experimenting with B vitamins.  I went to the health food store today and got a B Complex and a B-12 that melts under your tongue for better absorbtion.  I am hoping to increase energy and metabolism.  I will report back on this as well.

Last night, Kev and I watched 127 Hours.  It was a really good movie, but pretty disturbing.  The arm-cutting scene seemed to last 127 hours.  We had to mute it and look away.  But what an amazing story.  Good for that guy.

It was a good but busy weekend, and I am hoping now that painting is done for a while, next weekend will be a little more low-key.  I remember when weekends were all about taking naps.  I liked those days.

Daphne is asleep on the couch.  She didn't get a nap yesterday because she went to a birthday party.  And today after school, we had a play date.  So, she's exhausted.  Tomorrow is Mardi Gras, so we may go in search of a King Cake.  Or maybe we'll just make one.  I am hoping for nicer weather so we can at least take a walk.  There was SNOW on the ground this morning.  It's all melted now, but still.  I was not happy to see it. 

OK, better go wake up the Peanut.  She doesn't look very comfortable in there.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Love the paint!!! Great photo, by the way. You are so daggone talented!!