Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday Morning - Mavericks and More

This morning, everyone woke up in a good mood.  The Mavericks won the NBA Finals last night, after all.  Five years ago, the same two teams were in the finals, with different results.  I followed the playoffs closely that year.  I was 8 1/2 months pregnant and our house in Dallas was under construction.  We had no TV during the Western Conference Finals, so we listened to games on the radio or went to a local bar to watch them.  We celebrated advancing to the finals on the roof of some restaurant next to the Granada theater.  Then, Daphne was born.  I don't think I got to watch a single minute of the final series with the Heat, and that's just as well.  I was disappointed, but I had other things on my mind.
Here is Daphne, about 2 months old, showing her Mavericks spirit (Thank you, Stacey U!).  Fast forward to last night, same two teams, and Daphne holding the same rattle (see post below), but this time, the good guys won.  And I can't think of anyone who deserved it more.  They showed a lot of class.  I am so happy for them all.

Summer is off to a great start, not just because of all the activity and sports championships, but because suddenly, the youngest member of our family is showing signs of a new level of maturity that makes life so much easier and more enjoyable.  She is easy-going and agreeable almost all the time now.  She is more independent.  And she is fun.  I'm sure there will be moments of slipping into her old behaviors, especially when she's tired, but I have a good feeling about the next few years.  Perhaps this, plus the end of basketball play-off induced stress, will slow down the rate of silver hairs taking over.

This morning, we are off to the coffee shop to work on thank-you notes.  And it's delightfully cool as promised.  Maybe summer ain't so bad.

No comments: