Friday, December 03, 2004

Jingle Blog

Well, haven't felt much like blogging lately, and that's just as well, as there hasn't been much to blog about. This past week was a blur. Lots of running around trying to get stuff done, and then ending up feeling like nothing much was accomplished. Before I know it, Christmas will be over, and I will have missed it.

"How can you miss Christmas when everywhere you go, Christmas is thrown in your face?" you ask.

Yeah, I know. It's everywhere. But that commercial stuff is not what I'm talking about. I mean the GOOD stuff about Christmas. And so tonight I decided to take a time out and appreciate it. I spent the last 45 minutes or so sitting in my living room looking at my Christmas tree. It is very pretty, especially at night. This year, we got an artificial tree, since we are going to be out of town for 10 days. Not ideal, but we got a nice one...pretty realistic looking. I know lots of people like multi-colored lights, and some like blinking lights and chasers, but I prefer plain clear lights on my tree. There is something about white lights in a green tree that is just really good. Our ornaments are all over the map. Martha Stewart would hate our tree. We have some really nice ornaments from World Market and Crate and Barrel, mixed in with a bunch of home-made ones from when I had no money. These include Luke Skywalker and Wonder Woman action figures-on-a-string, as well as Old 97s stickers and pictures of Elvis glued to cardboard and hung on the tree. On the top is an angel that we used when I was little. My dad used to pick me up and let me put it on the tree when I was a kid. I like it. It's old school, and I'm sentimental. You can be sure a few tears were shed today as I helped Kev decorate the tree. So that's what I mean about good Christmas stuff. I love remembering Christmas from my childhood.

Anyway, all the crabby shoppers and loud annoying over-played carols were getting me down, so I knew I had to do something to find the Christmas spirit. I am going to now make a list of things that are good about Christmas-time:

  • There is generally more soup and pie
  • Christmas-tree smell
  • I get to shop and buy fun stuff for people I like
  • It is not hot outside
  • Vince Guaraldi
  • Extra time off from work
  • Egg nog
  • Sometimes it snows
  • People visit from out of town

There is more stuff, bet that's a start. I feel better already. Maybe if you are feeling blue and the holidays have got you down, you could make your own list and remember that it isn't ALL crabby shoppers and over-played carols.

No comments: