Sunday, December 12, 2004

Marathon Blues

Every year, on the second Sunday in December, the residents of my neighborhood become prisoners for the better part of the day. This is thanks to the White Rock Marathon, which blocks entering and exiting my neighborhood from all sides. This morning was no different, but I needed milk. And I was sure I was up and about early enough to get to the store and back before being blocked by the runners. Well, I was up in plenty of time to get out, but by the time I got my milk, some tissues for my ailing husband, and spent some time getting sucked into Kroger's exciting selection of soups, it was too late to get back in.
I tried to go south on Skillman, my usual route. Blocked. There was a mini van in front of me blocking an escape route down a side street. There was a lady behind me who must have been a VERY important person, because it was clear she didn't have time to be stuck on Skillman behind me and my blue Buick. She had an ear-piece in her ear and a phone in her hand, and she was waving her be-jeweled fingers frantically trying to get my attention so that I might somehow get the minivan to levitate, thus allowing myself and her access to the side street. I gave her the "just chill" signal with my hands, but she did not chill, and continued her maniacal hand-motions until finally the van pulled up. Maybe she was doing a spell! Anyway, then I had a dilemma...should I cut down the side street so she could escape as well, or just move up and keep blocking? The milk in my grocery bag made the decision for me. I needed to get home too. So I made my way back north to Mockingbird, and west to 75, and south to Henderson. I went under the McCommas bridge which was carrying runners on the east/west route, and thought I was home free! Alas, as I cut east, I ran into the southbound runners at Matilda. Sigh. There was nothing I could do at that point, so I hoofed it home with my milk and tissues ( I left the soups in the car). This was not a long walk, maybe 3/4 of a mile, but I was defeated. My only happy thought was that the rich lady from behind me was probably stuck too, and might miss her manicure or her appointment to buy a vacant lot on my street where she could build yet another giant brick Plano-looking (west plano!) house. (East-side rules!) But that's another issue.
On my walk home, I saw many other frustrated drivers trying to find the way out. They're probably still out there. Next year, I'm having Stay-At-Home day on the second Sunday in December.

On a happier note, negotiations to return Palemale and Lola's nest seem to be going well. Thanks to all who signed the petition.

Also, saw Ocean's 12 last night. Good, but pretty confusing.

Go Jets!

4 comments:

K. said...

When will you learn...rich ladies with tasteless jewelry who talk on cell phones while driving their SUV's ARE more important than the rest of us.

Did you give her The Point?

Tara said...

I gave her two whole hands, in sort of a "hey, back off!" motion. And for the record, I think she was in a cadillac. She was ridiculous.

Larry Feathers said...

Don't both of you live at the same house?

Tara said...

Yes, but I went on this errand alone.