Saturday, June 30, 2007

Bertha's Buttons


Yesterday, my mom gave me a jar of buttons that belonged to my great grandma, Bertha Kelly*. My dad helped me clean them up. I got to use his cool power-buffer machine in the garage. I think buttons are cool, especially really old ones.


These ones are some of my favorites. I love the orange one because it's orange. It is going to become something cool, but I'm not sure what yet. The ones in the middle have birds on them.

I am always seeing jars of buttons in antique stores. They are always just like the jar I got yesterday: A mason jar with a decorative round piece of fabric in the lid. I wonder why old ladies always kept jars of buttons. It probably won't surprise anyone who reads this that I have my own jar of buttons. It does not, however, have the decorative round piece of fabric, and it is a baby food jar, not a mason jar. I think I may have to rethink that, though...I kinda like my great-grandma's jar better.

*My great grandma's name was Bertha, and her husband's name was Bert. Funny, huh? My g-g-ma didn't really look like your typical Bertha, though. She was thin and very pretty. I will post a picture sometime.

1 comment:

Gye Greene said...

I have a jar of buttons. It's for when you lose a button off a shirt, and need a replacement.

Nowdays, people just go to a fabric store and buy a replacement button -- but back in the Depression, we saved everything. You kids today just wouldn't understand. ;)

--GG