Monday, February 13, 2006

Fun with Bad Food

If you are from the 70s like me, the following foods may have been big players during your childhood:

  • Spam
  • Vienna sausages
  • Canned processed "cheese" that you squeeze from a trigger on the can
  • Fried bologna

These are foods I have not eaten for many many years, and I don't intend to feed them to the peanut. If I was on Fear Factor and had to eat one of these foods, I would probably choose the cheese (my friend Bryce used to call it "aerosol cheese"), but I wouldn't like it. Also, for some reason, if I wanted a snack when I was little, my grandma would give me a piece of white bread and a bowl of maple syrup to dip it in. Weird. The one bad food I really miss from childhood is sugary cereal. Oh, how I loved my Fruity Pebbles, Coco Puffs, and Honeycomb. I would get up every Saturday and sit within inches of the greatness of the Fat Albert show, with my bowl of cereal and piece of toast. Then I would go outside and play all day long, only coming home long enough for lunch (grilled cheese and tomato soup - mmmmm). I hope the peanut will eat good food, but still play outside a lot and not sit around playing video games and begging for some Chicken McNuggets (tm). I want her to climb trees and jump on a pogo stick and learn to throw a baseball properly.

By the way, we actually have a can of Spam in our pantry. My aunt gave it to Kev for Christmas, along with some Spam recipes. He says he is going to eat it, but we'll see about that.

3 comments:

Tara said...

Haha...that's funny. When we were kids, we used to make fancy elaborate designs on the crackers with the aerosol cheese. If you press lightly, you get a plain straight line, but if you really squeeze, you can make flowers and all kinds of groovy stuff.

whitneydonkey said...

we eat squirt cheese at work now. I think its pretty cool.
I don't like spam or vienna sausages, but I do like Little Smokies esp. if you use toothpicks to pick them up. Party meatballs are good too. I am all about the appetizers.

Gye Greene said...

Spam is waaay good stuff -- although salty and fatty and probably therefore bad for you.

The Lady and I are in ongoing discussions about whether video game machines will be allowed in our home. I'm of the opinion that if The Kid wants to play video games, she can go next door to her cousin's...


--GG

P.S. According to the Word Verification, "I'm Wilsdy." Nice ta meet ya! :)