Friday, February 17, 2006

It was the Best of Times, It was the Worst of Times...

WARNING: This blog will be very long and contain some negativity. But, there will be some happy news, too.

Well, yesterday started off pretty good, because I had lunch in a biergarten with Kev. It was a lovely day, about 75 degrees and sunny. But yesterday turned bad when Kevin's car got smashed. He is OK, but his car is in pretty sad shape. Apparently, as Kev was backing out of his parking space at work, a guy of questionable character in a truck came barrelling around the corner and hit Kev hard enough to spin his car around. Needless to say, Kev is really mad, and sad as well because he loves his car. It is hard for me to relate, because I have no emotional attachment to my car at all. It is just a big blue machine that gets me from point A to point B. But I think Kev is experiencing something similar to grief at the thought that his car may be totalled. And all of this couldn't have come at a worse time, with all the baby expenses and the possibilty of adding a room on to the house. Anyway, I know it could be worse. I am very glad Kev is not hurt, and that me and the Peanut weren't in the car. But it still sucks.

I am going to start an organization if anyone wants to join. It is called P.L.A.I.D. (Pregnant Ladies Against Idiotic Drivers). You certainly don't have to be pregnant or even a lady to join. I just thought it made a nice anagram (is that the right word?). Plus, there are all kinds of potential possibilities for groovy promotional items, including, but not limited to promotional P.L.A.I.D. kilts and promotional P.L.A.I.D. housepants. I have no tolerance for these terrible selfish drivers who speed through parking lots or talk on cell phones or do the crossword or put on makeup or whatever distracting and dangerous thing they are doing. I encourage all of you to be mindful when you are behind the wheel, as you are basically operating a weapon. And you must also be mindful of the others around you who are NOT being mindful, because you never know when you might get plowed into by an idiot. Be careful out there.

On a much happier note, I have received word from the good Dr. Mike Bingham, penguin scientist, that Tula's two chicks are alive and thriving. This is great news. He sent an attached photo, but we think it may have a virus. As soon as we rule that out, I will post the picture on the blog. It is very cute, and I am so happy for Tula and her family.

This weekend, we are probably not doing much, as the NBC 5 team of meteorologists has predicted another winter blast. Amazing. It was about 80 yesterday, and it is about 35 today. We are supposed to have sleet and freezing rain all weekend, and very cold temperatures. No snow, of course. Anyway, I don't mind the wintery weather so much, but I fear it is confusing to the birds and to the bulbs I planted a couple weeks ago. And I was hoping for nice weather next week, because Kev's whole family (with the exception, I am very sad to report, of Marty, who will be greatly missed during this visit) is coming to town for a long weekend.

So everybody have a good weekend, and be careful driving, especially in the winter blast.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I am sad for Kev and his car- that is not fun!!! BUT I am VERY happy for TULA's chicks!!! I must say March of the Penquins made me very sad for the chicks and I have been nervous for her's!!

YIPPEE!!

Gye Greene said...

I like the concept of P.L.A.I.D. And, it's a good acronym!

But: after you're done being pregnant, would you have to step down from the organization?

And if you drop the "Pregnant," the acroynym is kinda unfortunate.

I know how Kevin feels: I was very bummed when my silver '84 Honda Civic hatchback got munched. I still miss it. And I'm not even a ''car guy.''

--GG