Thursday, April 06, 2006

Waste

So, I just found out I have to get new license plates for my car before I can have a new registration sticker. Apparently, this is something that is supposed to happen every 7 years, and this is my 7th year. Here is my question: WHY? There is nothing wrong with my current license plates. They are in great shape, and I have recently even memorized the number. Now, I will have to get whole new plates with a whole new number, which will probably take me another 7 years to memorize. And what am I supposed to do with my old perfectly good plates? Does the state of Texas plan to recycle them for me? Or will they just go into a landfill somewhere? This may seem kind of trivial, but if you think about it, it is really stupid, and a waste of time and money. Who makes these dumb rules? I need to know where to send my letter...

3 comments:

marty said...

you have to keep the Texas inmates busy making new plates somehow... If you are bored tonight or over the weekend Tim Rall will be in Frisco now pitching for the Midland Rockhounds after being picked up in the offseason...

Gye Greene said...

I reckon it's because most people aren't as careful with their number plates as you are, so most people's are faded and not as reflect-y after seven years. Probably cheaper to have people replace them at a mandated level, than to pay some ''license plate inspector'' to go 'round. ;)

It'd be **nice** to think that they recyle 'em...

Maybe you can keep 'em, and hang them on your wall.

Or! It's part of a plot to get everyone to buy personalized license plates: If people get tired of re-memorizing their lic. plate numbers, they'll cave in and pay the extra for the vanity plates.


(Hm! ''PPHPHB'' would fit on a plate...) ;)


--GG

Julie said...

I think the thought behind it is "who keeps a car more than 7 years these days???" Sad but probably true. ha!