Sunday, October 08, 2006

Let's Have Fun!

The title of this blog is a quote from my nephew Ryan. He is always ready for fun. I like my fair share of fun too, but I am starting to realize there is such a thing as too much fun, especially when you are old like me. It is Sunday night, and I have had so much fun this weekend that I am ready for bed and it isn't even 8:00. So, I decided to blog.
Friday night, things got off to a rocky start. Kev got home from work, and we put Daphne to bed, and we were just about to enjoy Segment Five (which is peace and quiet, dinner, and Star Trek or something like that). Kev was quietly playing his guitar and I was contemplating dinner, when all of a sudden, "diddly-diddly-diddly-diddly..." the Rush music began. And it was LOUD. If you are new around the LRHS, I will tell you that there is this knucklehead across the street who opens his door and plugs in his electric guitar and plays three or four of the same Rush songs over and over for the entire neighborhood to enjoy. It is absolutely ridiculous. He had stopped for a while, but I think since the weather is nice in the evenings now, he's able to open his door again. Anyway, few things are as defeating as really bad really loud Tom Sawyer guitar licks assaulting you from beyond when you are trying to have some peace and quiet. Not to mention, as I told Kev, even if it didn't wake up the baby, it was seeping into her subconsious while she slept. And we can't have that. So I called 311 - non-emergency and tried to report the dude. I was given the number of the police substation for my area, so I called them. I was told I had to call 911. Now, even though 311 and the substation lady assured me it was OK, I felt funny about calling 911 to gripe about noise, so I hesitated for about 30 seconds until I could take no more diddly diddly diddlying. Long story short: cops came, no more Limelight. At least for the rest of this weekend. We'll see how long it lasts. Anyway, none of that was fun.

But on Saturday things got better. We went for a walk in the morning. It was cool and sunny. Then in the evening we took another walk, down to the Tipperery Inn for cheeseburgers on the patio. The baby was good the whole time. She loves being outside.

Today, we took her to the Arboretum to see the pumpkin patch. We stayed a long time, and had a little picnic on the big lawn while listening to the fake James Taylor perform on the concrete stage. It was great to be outside, and the Daphne loved it until she just got too tired to take any more fun. Then she cried, and we had to stroll her around until she went to sleep. But mostly she was good.

Anyway, that may not seem like much to you, but for us, it was a lot of outings and a lot of walking, and a lot of meltdown control and I am exhausted.

Note to Darlene: Things are going well with "solid foods" (if you can call rice cereal solid). The first night we tried it, the Peanut didn't get it, and most of it ended up on her bib. The second night, she was too tired when I tried to feed her, so she cried. It wasn't her normal mad cry, either. It was more like a sad little wimpery cry, as if I had somehow hurt her feelings trying to make her eat from a spoon. Yesterday, however, I think a light went on somewhere inside her little Peanut head, and she is getting the hang of it. Now she tries to grab the spoon, though, so it's a pretty messy endeavor. We haven't taken any snapshots, but we did video-tape the first try. It's pretty funny. Kev actually ate some of the cereal as a demonstration for the baby.

Well, I think I am going to look for something to read, if I can keep my eyes open. It will be fun!

3 comments:

whitneydonkey said...

that is alot of stuff, but with the weather this great its a waste not to. are yall going to try the fair?

Tara said...

Probably next weekend, but I think we'll leave the baby at home this year.

Gye Greene said...

Thx for crankin' out a blog entry before goin' to sleep! :)

Spoon feeding: The best part is when the kid, in her thrashing about, manages to block/deflect the spoon somewhere between the jar/bowl, and her mouth. You spill it, or get it on the kid's face -- and it's **your** fault, because you're the one holding the spoon -- and **you're** the adult. ;)

--GG