Monday, July 02, 2007

Good Times Bad Times


Yesterday, our friend John came for dinner. I made jambalaya (ooh-wee!) and this blueberry cake (recipe here). The cake was really good...not too sweet. I added a little lemon zest, but otherwise, followed the recipe exactly, and served it warm with some of the home-made ice cream my dad made for Daphne's birthday. If you make this cake, you will probably feel happy for at least the few minutes it takes to eat it, and maybe even for a few minutes afterward. Daphne cried when hers was all gone. Plus, it will make your house smell good. And blueberries are really good right now, so this is a good way to use them. It was good to see our friend John, and a nice time was had by all.

Things have taken a slightly more negative turn today, though. Nothing seems to be able to crush my self-esteem more than a trip to the mall. I know I always make fun of Kev for having a "uniform," but since I pretty much only wear jeans and a t-shirt every day, I don't have much room to talk. So I decided I should get a couple of nicer shirts to wear this summer, and you would think this would be easy in a mall with hundreds of stores. Geez. And it's not like I was looking for pants (don't even get me started). All I wanted was a simple white light and airy blouse that fits. But no. The first problem is that everything at the mall is expensive. The second problem is that all this season's shirts are cut like maternity shirts and make me look 6 months pregnant. I do not want to look 6 months pregnant. I have already been through that. Anyway, after trying on about 30 shirts in 4 different shops (poor Daphne, she was so patient), I finally found one shirt I liked, and payed way too much for it, but I will wear it because it is orange and kinda cute and doesn't make me look 6 months pregnant. But the whole experience was depressing. Plus, while we were at the mall, I happened to look down and notice the sad state of my feet, which are in desperate need of some attention. I don't even look in the mirror at my hair anymore. It hasn't been cut since before Daphne was born, so it is very unruly, especially with all this rain, and the silver ones are slowly taking over.

This post is a cry for help. Please, someone, nominate me for What Not to Wear so I can get some assistance from Stacy and Clinton.

I know, Kev, I know. Somebody needs a nap.

2 comments:

fooiemcgoo said...

I thought I should say something encouraging but I don't know what to say.

Gye Greene said...

Amusing story about buying stuff in the mall.

I just wear black denim jeans, plus a green or black dress shirt and/or flannel shirt. Boringly consistent.

I've never really thought about my feet: When I'm shopping, they're in socks and shoes, even in the summer.


I'm pleased John has nice people looking out for him.


--GG