Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Mighty Wind

Hi. I have been awake since 3:30am, and I am not happy about it. Some sort of storm came through last night, bringing no thunder, but huge gusty winds. Our 100 year old house is sturdy, but very very creaky when 60 mile-per-hour winds blow by. So, at about 3:30, it woke me up and I couldn't go back to sleep. I stayed in bed a while, waiting to be hurled into Oz, which thankfully didn't happen. So, at about 4:30, I just got up. It was pointless to try to sleep. Now, I am hurting with no nap in sight. Plus, I have to haul Daphne down to the Safeway in the stroller today because I have company coming and we have no food. I am hoping for, but not expecting, the wind to settle down a little before we head out. If it doesn't, I'll have to put on some roller skates, put a sail on the stroller, and windsurf to the grocery store.

I suppose it's a fair price to pay for yesterday. You cannot imagine a better day. It was about 68 degrees and sunny with a very light breeze. We spent the morning walking all around town, and the afternoon playing, mostly outside, with some of the neighborhood kids, who came for a play date with Daphne. Spring is going to be so great. Unless it's windy.

2 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Windy: kites? Or, wrong sort of wind?

Waking up and not getting back to sleep: hear ya. Boy #2 had a bit of a cold while in Seattle; I got to wander around my parents' house at 3am for a few nights in a row...


--GG

Kathy said...

That wind went through here too. It was pretty wild, but not as bad as Hurricane Ike!!

I'll bet your house is creaky. I firmly believe that creatures and such only come out in the middle of the night during a storm or high wind. It's what makes everything creak in the first place ... :) Sleep well tonight!!