Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Still Awating Spring...

Well, it is a truly miserable wintery day. It started off OK, with giant pretty snowflakes. But that has turned to sleety rain and bitter cold, and from what I am told, the Big Wind is returning tomorrow. Y'all know how I feel about the Big Wind. So, there is nothing else to do on a day such as this but to make cupcakes. There was a lady in the Williams Sonoma outlet the other day going around telling everyone that their organic cake mix made the best chocolate cake in the history of the world, so I bought a box. I have been promising Daphne we could make cupcakes, and using a mix is really the only way to bake with her as my sous chef. It is necessary to make the whole process as quick and with as few steps as possible. I predict at least 30% of the batter will end up on her hands (when she sticks them into the bowl because she just can't help herself), and then subsequently in her mouth and all over her clothes, my clothes, the kitchen floor, and all other available surfaces within range. Just waiting for the eggs to come to room temperature, and the fun can begin.

The Williams Sonoma outlet store was also selling a great cookbook called One Dish Meals. Kev's mom bought it and I copied (don't tell) several recipes before she left. Last night, I made this one, above. It is Baked Sausages with Herbed Beans. I thought it was really good. I never ever use canned beans, so this was a little worrisome for me, so I also bought a bottle of Bean-O, and suffered no post-bean problems. One dish meals is where it's at. Thanks, Williams Sonoma.
OK...cupcake time. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Gye Greene said...

Fingers in the dough: Luckily it all gets baked -- so, sterilized, right? :)

--GG