Monday, February 09, 2009

Texas

Well, last night, Daphne and I returned safely home from our big trip to Texas. As many of you know, I am afraid to fly, so when I do, I have to take a Xanax. It is great...it makes me all calm and able to fly without having a huge embarrassing panic attack, which is what happened last time I tried to fly without it. But the drawback is, the stuff knocks me out. It is almost 24 hours since I took it, and I am still kinda out of it. It amazes me that there are some people who take Xanax every day. It must be a lower dose or something, otherwise I don't know how they'd function.

Anyway, under such heavy sedation, I don't have it in me to blog a big blog. Suffice it to say, we had an EXCELLENT trip, and I got to do everything on my list except go to Central Market. I could have gone, but I chose not to. I think if I had gone in there, I might never have come back to Virginia. OK, I'm exaggerating. I can live with Safeway. For a little while. There is talk of a place called Wegmans, which I will check out and report back on. It may be the grocery store I've been looking for here in the Mid-Atlantic region. Or, I'll just have to make a bi-weekly pilgrimage to Trader Joe's.

I want to mention that I did get to watch the Mavericks, and they won 5 out of the 6 games they played while I was there. Woo-hoo! I can't even tell you the name of one guy on the Wizards. Does Antwon Jamison play for them? I like him. He used to be a Maverick.

The picture up there was taken at Sonny Bryan's where I got to eat good barbeque for the first time in a LONG time. The barbeque was followed by delicious blackberry cobbler, which nearly sent me into cardiac arrest. I haven't been that full in a long time. But it was worth it. Anyway, I took the picture because it illustrated creative use of Texas license plates. I still haven't decided what to do with mine. During dinner at Sonny Bryan's, Daphne befriended a table-ful of first and second grade boys. She introduced herself, and at the coaxing of their moms, they reluctantly shook her hand and talked to her a little bit. The next night, when my parents took her to the Black Eyed Pea for dinner, she was upset. "I want to go to that restaurant with the big pile of boys," she complained.

Lots more stuff happened, almost all of it fun. If you want to see pictures, please go here.

I have no idea when or if I'll ever be back in Texas, but I hope I am. It's not so bad at all, really.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

"I want to go to that restaurant with the big pile of boys," Oh my lord!!!! :)

Julie said...

Texas ROCKS! I guess you have to be born here to trully love it!

Gye Greene said...

''Big pile of boys'': Indeed -- agree with Kathy; a great turn of phrase.

(Does Kevin name his instruments -- e.g. his bass? I tend to. If he hasn't yet, y'all should ask D. to name it: little kids come up with the **best** names, I think -- spot-on, really capture the essence of the thing.)


--GG