Monday, April 27, 2009

Leaves of Three, Let Them Be

While we have many lovely surprises popping up in the yard like these climatis vines (above) and these lilacs (below),
We also have a ton of this:


Poison ivy. Yuck. I have been doing some research today, and it seems like you pretty much need to get a Haz-Mat team out to your house to get rid of the stuff. OK, that's exaggerating a little. But it's quite an elaborate process, and I'm not sure I'm up to the task. I don't want Kev to have to deal with it either, after everything he went through with the ginko berries last fall. But this stuff is BAD. At least it isn't IN the yard...it is out front between our fence and the stone wall that was put up by the town. I wonder if the town would send someone out to get rid of it for us. For as much as we pay in taxes, they certainly should. But it seems unlikely.
Speaking of things that are pesky, yesterday Daphne accidentally let a wasp into the house. I had it trapped behind the blinds this morning, but it found a way out and escaped into the cabinet above the fridge where we keep all the snack foods. I guess that's one way to keep me out of the chips! But I don't know what to do. What is it doing in there, do you think? Probably helping itself to some of the boxes of truffles left over from Christmas. These are the dilemmas of the stay-at-home mom, I guess.
AHA! Victory is mine! As I was typing that last sentence, my tiny be-stingered nemesis emerged from the snack cabinet and got itself caught behind the sheers on the back door. After some mustering up of courage, which I'll admit took longer than it should have, I took a few good whacks at him with a rolled-up copy of the Leesburg Today and that is that. Try to take MY chocolate, will you?!
It sounds like Daphne is waking up from her nap. Time to stop fighting evil-doers and get upstairs.
Please advise about the poison ivy if you know any tricks...

1 comment:

Gye Greene said...

Wasp tricks: if you have a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment, suck it in once it's airborne. (You have an "aiming" advantage, in that the air around the wasp would be sucked into the hose -- kinda like being pulled into a whirlpool.

Poison ivy: total guess, but worth an experiment: Spray some weed killer on the leaves. Once it's dried up and dead, remove it. Seems like since it's the oils that irritate the skin, that if the leaves are dried up, then no more oils.


--GG