Monday, October 05, 2009

Good Eats

Sunday was all about Good Eats. We started off with breakfast on the porch featuring pancakes from the Kerbey Lane pancake mix that my parents brought me from Texas. Kerbey Lane serves the best pancakes in the world, but it is in Austin. If you are not in Austin and can't go there, the mix is the next best thing. I was excited to find out that when I run out my current supply of mix, I can order it on line.

Dinner was a giant pot of Guinness Beef Stew. Here is the recipe. I made this last year during the Winter of Soup. Last time, I changed it up a little, but this time I stuck to the recipe exactly. It was delicious. If you want your family to like you even more than they already do, make them this stew. Daphne even liked it. There were enough leftovers for Kev to have two meals this week, plus there was some to freeze for a future pot pie.
Friday was Kev's company picnic (pictures on Flickr). It was a Big Production. There was a DJ, tons of food, carnival games, arts and crafts, a human gyroscope, and various bounce activities. We had a great time. Daphne's favorite part was watching the teenagers do cool line dances. I wanted to join them...it looked like so much fun. There must have been 2000 people or more at the picnic. I wonder how much it all cost.

Meanwhile, I finished knitting a little quick scarf for Daphne. She loved it, and was eager to pose for pictures. I don't know where she learned this one. Maybe she's been watching America's Next Top Model while I cook dinner. It is nice that Daphne appreciates the things I knit for her. Someday, she'll just think it's dorky.
Tomorrow morning her class is going on a field trip to Great Country Farms. I am going too. We will be taking a hay ride to the pumpkin patch, feeding farm animals, and going on tube slides, rope swings, and the gigantic jumping pillow. Immediately after, Daphne, my mom, and I are heading for Indiana for our annual Harvest Homecoming trip. I cannot wait. Chicken and Dumplings, Apple Dumplings, Zesto, Pizza King, a Fun Slide, and more are all waiting for me. Plus, there is talk of a Rock Band party at my cousin's house on Saturday night. It is going to be a great trip. I wish Kevin could go, but I am pretty sure he is looking forward to having a few days to himself. Plus, he gets all the leftover beef stew.
So, there will probably not be blogging until we return next week. You can look forward to pictures of food. See you soon.


4 comments:

fooiemcgoo said...

my wife made me this stew.

it was pretty good.

i drank the rest of the Guinness.

booya.

K. said...

I took the liberty of arranging fooie's comments in the form of a haiku:

my wife made this stew

it was pretty good. booya

i drank the Guinness

-K.

Tara said...

Not that many people read this blog, but the ones that do RULE.

Gye Greene said...

K, thx for doing the re-arranging: the form of Foo's comment was tugging at my subconsious...


T,

That stew looks **good**!!!

Appreciate vs. dorky: I predict that the "thinking it's dorky" will last about six years (13-19yo). Then she'll appreciate it again.


Great D. pose: I took a few snapshots of The Girl wearing her new shoes, and she was going all ''Target Ad'' on me as well.


--GG