Monday, November 29, 2010

The Good, the Bad, and the Smelly

I don't know what it is about Thanksgiving. It just seems like something always goes wrong. There was the Thanksgiving five years ago when I was pregnant and ended up in the hospital. Everything was fine, but Daphne gave us quite a scare that night. Then there was the Mouse Incident of 2009. And now, this year, I was sick. Daphne was sick before Thanksgiving, I was sick during Thanksgiving, and now, Kev is sick. In spite of all that, though, I still enjoyed the food and spending time with my family, and on the bright side, we're getting past the sick well before Christmas. I didn't quite get all my Christmas projects done by Thanksgiving as I'd hoped, but I'm well on my way, and not feeling too much stress. Christmas is going to be fun this year.

Winter is in the air. Today, I had to scrape ice off the car, and they say it might snow on Sunday. Next door, all the beautful yellow fan-shaped ginko leaves have fallen off the tree, leaving only these berries:

Evil little miniature stinkbombs, just waiting for the next gust of wind to knock them down from the branches and into the path of some innocent shoe. And Lord help the owner of that shoe. They should use these things in interrogations. Nobody could stand it for long.

On Friday, I was really sick, so Kev made me chicken soup. Few things taste better when you are sick than chicken soup. Daphne made the dumplings. They were delicious. Tonight, we had the leftovers, which was just in time for Kev, who is feeling about like I felt on Friday.

On Saturday, Kev and Daphne got dressed up and went on a date to the hot dog place and the Tally Ho, where they saw Tangled. They had a great time.
And I was feeling a little better by then, so I got some projects done while they were gone.

So, sick or not sick, Thanksgiving was good. I have a lot to be thankful for, and believe me, I AM thankful. And as you know, there are no lions, so I can't complain about a little head cold.

I hope you all enjoyed your turkeys and your pies and your families. One more day of November and the countdown begins, so stay tuned. And watch your step if you're anywhere near a ginko tree.

1 comment:

Gye Greene said...

Maybe they should call it a STINKO tree.

Cute Kev + Daphne photo. Kevin looks like a jazz musician -- maybe a trumpeter.


--GG