Thursday, September 12, 2013

Making my Happy Place a Happy Place


My house is the ultimate UFO.  I feel like it will never be "finished."  But I am trying to get in a groove that will result in a house that at the very least doesn't stress me out the moment I walk in.  Most people do the whole Fresh Start thing in January, but I usually start in the fall, when Daphne goes back to school.  I have to say corny things to myself like "Slow and steady wins the race!" and "Rome wasn't built in a day!" to justify that it is probably going to take me until Christmas to get things in shape.

Yesterday, I pulled a bunch of too-small clothes out of Daphne's closet and backed up my computer. 

Today, I tidied the guest room, and then decided to start on my little knitting space.  There has been exactly ZERO knitting going on in that room for months because of stuff piled on the chair and magazines piled on the floor and so much passive chaos that it caused me to stay away.

Today, I cleaned off the chair and took the pile of magazines downstairs to either give away or recycle.
Much better, huh?!


So, now I can sit there and knit, or read, or whatever, and not get all stressed out.  I may get all sneeze-y though.  I haven't dusted yet, and it really needs to be dusted.  And I think I could do something better with that book shelf.  It's kind of a mess.  But it's a start!  Rome wasn't built in a day, you know!

Baby steps.

Now I an going to go tackle the kitchen table.  And then, I'm going to sit in my chair and knit!  Woo hoo!

I AM AVOIDING DEALING WITH DAPHNE'S TOYS FOR AS LONG AS I CAN.  IT IS LIKE A MOUNT EVEREST INSURMOUNTABLE SIZED TASK.   I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START. 


This is just one room.  Her toys spill over into the whole downstairs, plus the attic.  Ugh.  A job for another day.

By the way, my dress-making class was good, but I am not so sure about the fabric choice and the fit.  I'll finish it up next Tuesday and tell you how it turns out.  Tonight, I start my quilt class.  And I have cast on for my new Lobster Cove sweater.  A very crafty September so far!  I like it!

No comments: