Monday, June 09, 2008

Birthday Re-Cap


Gumdrop Tea Cakes
Originally uploaded by Tara H.
So, Daphne is two. Her birthday has come and gone, and it was quite a production. Pictured are the tea-cakes I made in lieu of a big giant birthday cake. My original plan was to make these very elegant and lovely looking tea-cakes as pictured on the packaging of the cake tin, but instead they came out looking more like gumdrops. Which is fine, because Daphne is obsessed with gumdrops. Or the idea of gumdrops. She's never actually had one. Anyway, the cakes tasted good, and everyone seemed to like them, so I was pleased.

On her actual birthday, which was Thursday, we took her for a corny dog and ice cream at Harry's. (There are plenty of photos on flickr if you want to see). Kev's parents came from New York to join us, and Daphne had a big time playing with them.

He party was Saturday, and I kept it small like last year. We had cake, and then let the kids play in the new $8.00 wading pool and lady-bug sprinkler. We attempted gift-opening after the cake, but there were too many distractions and it was chaos. I can't handle much chaos, so we moved the party outside. It worked out well, and I think everyone had fun.

Meanwhile, on Long Island, Kev's sister was catering a birthday party. For a six-year-old. I heard the family spent $3000.00 on this affair. For a six-year-old. I bet they had better hors-d'oeuvres than we did, but I bet our kids had just as much fun - or more - in the $8.00 pool. Give me a break.

So, I have spent the last couple of days recovering from all the celebration. There are lots of new toys to play with and new books to read, so Daphne has been having a blast. Thanks to everyone for all the nice gifts. I am going to have to get rid of some of the old stuff. But I'll save that chore for another day.

For now, I think I'll stop because I feel like I'm getting a cavity from looking at that cake picture.

2 comments:

Gye Greene said...

$3k vs. $8: Yeah -- I don't think little kids know the difference. :)


--GG

Bleach said...

That is also why you should have Christmas on the 26th until kids are 4 or above.