Friday, June 20, 2008

If You Give a Kid a Donut


The Devil
Originally uploaded by Tara H.
I have managed to avoid ever going to Krispy Kreme in spite of the fact that it is right next to my grocery store and it pipes the scent of its deep fried donuty goodness into the parking lot. I avoided it, that is, until yesterday, when a rainy day dictated meeting up with friends at Krispy Kreme for a play date. I gotta admit, it's a fun place. You get a cool paper hat, and you get to watch the donut-making process in action. And I can't speak for the other flavors, but my blueberry donut was delicious. Daphne chose the one with sprinkles, of course. And this was her first ever donut. I was afraid of what might happen after she ate it, and at first, it didn't seem to affect her. She didn't misbehave, or bounce off the walls. In fact, she was really good. Until nap-time. Then, she couldn't sleep. So, no nap. Then the sugar really hit her and by the time it wore off, she had colored with a blue (washable!) crayon all over my closet door and was generally naughty. Then she woke up about an hour after she went to bed, crying hysterically...most likely a donut-induced nightmare. She won't be going back to Krispy Kreme anytime soon. But I probably will.

2 comments:

Angie said...

awe! poor little babe. I myself don't usually give the girls sugarery goodness things unless it's the weekend when Daddy is home to help me "control" them. My youngest can sometimes make a deaf man hear and my oldest is just a completely sugar highed person. We limit them to usually once a month (sometimes twice a month). Our weakness is 3 Musketeer bars, oh are they yummy!

Julie said...

You can't go blaming donuts on 2 year old behavior!! Poor Daphne-