Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bird News

Spring is here and that means birds. This is our front yard robin. We watch it fly down, pick up worms, stop for a minute on the fence post, and fly up to its nest over and over and over. When it arrives at the nest, the babies, which are unfortunately too high up to see, start cheeping furiously for their share of the worm. You'd think it was grits or cobbler or something the way they get so excited.

This nest is in our side yard in the cherry tree. I thought at first that this was a baby peeking out, but now I'm pretty sure it's a mama robin sitting on eggs. It seems a little late for them to hatch, so I hope everything is OK. There should be babies soon.
And I forgot to mention that on Mother's Day, I finally saw a new bird to add to my list: a gray catbird. We have them in the yard now, and one perched above me during our picnic dinner the other night, threatening to ruin the tranquility with poop. I was happy when it flew away. I am no stranger to bird poop, and I don't like it. Anyway, I will try to get a catbird picture sometime if I can.
That's all I have about birds right now.

1 comment:

Gye Greene said...

"stop for a minute on the fence post": Photo op! :)


--GG