Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Nightmare on Kinks Street

So, naptime didn't go very well yesterday. Daphne was still scared from her bad cat dream, and I ended up having to rock her to sleep.

Not good.

So last night, we had a video conference with Jasmine. She is currently living in New York with Kev's mom and dad. They were nice enough to bring her into their computer room to make a big deal out of showing Daphne what a nice cat she is. And to her credit, she really put on a good show. Lots of cute kitty faces and meowing and so forth. We definitely had the Peanut convinced that Jasmine is not an evil cat.

Unfortunately, bedtime was still very difficult. There was lots of crying and clinging and fear. Finally, Daphne agreed to go in her bed if the lights were on and if I stood there and read her a story. Then I worked my way into the rocking chair, where I promised to sit and watch her as she fought as hard as she could to keep her eyes from closing. She did let me leave the room once briefly to go to the bathroom. Kev took over for me after a while and sat with her until she couldn't stay awake any longer. That was about 10:00 I think.

It seemed like an unsolvable problem.

Then this morning, Daphne suddenly said, "Tonight I don't need you and Daddy to stay with me. I am going to be brave and go to sleep all by myself."

Time will tell if this is all just a bunch of big talk. But I hope it's true. We can't go on like this for long. I will keep you posted.

Feliz Cinco de Mayo. Enjoy a taco today.

Oh, one quick funny note to any Texans reading this back home: One of our neighbors told our host that she was going to bring sopapillas to the Cinco de Mayo party last Saturday. When he relayed this info to his wife, he said she was bringing Sacagaweas. I guess they don't get a lot of Mexican food up here. Can you imagine raising your flag at Panchos and asking for more Sacagaweas? Heeheehee. Mmmmmm...Panchos....

No comments: