- American Idol: This was the best season yet. There were at least 4 contestants that I would actually choose to listen to and am interested in seeing what they do post-Idol. I was happy that Kris won. And it was fun to watch this group because you could tell they genuinely liked each other. About the finale: It was about half and half, cheesy vs. cool. I loved seeing Queen, the Black Eyed Peas, and Cyndi Lauper. I could not get to the FFWD remote button fast enough when they paraded Rod Stewart out there. He is terrible. The variety show type numbers were really corny, and I FFWDed through most of that too. And a special note to KISS: You guys are icons of my youth, and I am a HUGE fan. But please stop. Just stop. You are old and fat and it is just silly and kind of sad now. I will freely admit that I love American Idol and will watch every episode until it ends for good. Kev hates it. It drives him from the room. And I try to get Daphne to watch it with me, but she doesn't really like it, and just asks questions like, "Mommy, why is that guy squeezing his eyes like that when he sings," and "Is that microphone talking guy (Seacrest) going to get a turn?" So, thank you, inventors of the DVR. Can't wait for next season!
- The Commonwealth of Virginia has just banned smiling in your driver's license picture. It's hard enough to look decent in those pictures after waiting on line at the DMV for hours. At least if you can smile, it kind of hides the beaten-down-edness you are feeling. I actually got a pretty good picture this time, before the smiling ban thank goodness. Maybe they'll rethink this before I have to get a new one. If not, I don't think they've banned stink-face, so maybe I'll do that and try to look real rock.
- Star Trek was really really good. Very well done. I am grateful that Kevin got me into watching the original series, because I really like that too. It's nerdy, but it's true. On the other hand, I could not have less interest in the Terminator. I tried watching the first Arnold movie and it was terrible. I'm pretty sure I fell asleep.
- These John and Kate people, whoever they are, are getting way too much airtime. All I know about them are from headlines, and they seem very annoying.
- My friend Troy is in a Toyota commercial that you have probably seen. He is at his mailbox, and then takes off running. Look for him on TV!
- I have never known a town to hate its own baseball team as much as they hate the Nationals around here. What gives?