Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Crafty

I talked to my friend Emily from back home in Dallas. She has two kids and a job, but has somehow been finding time to sew and knit. She must have special powers. I haven't done either in WAY too long. So yesterday, I decided that since my house was actually clean and all the laundry was done, I would make myself start easing back into craftiness with a little project. I busted out the ModPodge and got to work on a new screen print stencil, as requested by Kev. Here is the result:

For those of you who are too young to know, those are guys from Space Invaders. Atari rules. I totally want one of these shirts for myself.
While I was at JoAnn buying the screening fabric, I saw this mushroom print and couldn't pass it up:


Somebody in this family is getting a mushroom skirt, like it or not. The leftovers will make good napkins I reckon.
Then there was today. Today, my mom and dad came over to play with Daphne, and I went to the mall. My goal was to get a pretty springtimey shirt. I pretty much wear t-shirts every day, and I wanted something with colors and some sort of happy print. First, I went to Old Navy. Strike one. But I expected that. Next, H&M. Strike two. So disappointing! So, I decided to go to Macy's. Ugh. Strike three. Everything at the mall is ugly or expensive. I see pretty shirts on TV or in magazines all the time, but these shirts were not at the mall today. It was depressing, so I decided to leave the mall and call Kev so we could go to lunch since the mall is right by his office. I was ten minutes too late. Dangit. OK. Well. I could still go to lunch on my own. I have been craving a Freebird for a LONG time, but since the closest one is about 1000 miles away, I decided to go to Chipotle. Bad idea. There is no comparison. Freebird is so much better. As a symbolic gesture, after lunch, I sadly sculpted my foil wrapper into the shape of the State of Texas and left in on my table, but chances are, nobody got it. Off to Wegman's.
Anyway, I think it will be a while before I go back to the mall. Unless, by some happy miracle, Stacy and Clinton show up at Preschool Drop-Off with embarrasing footage featuring my 9 year old hiking shoes and a $5000.00 Visa card with my name on it, it's back to Target for me. And that's OK. I don't like the mall anyway. It's noisy there, and don't even get me started on the almost-knock-you-out smells that come wafting from the trendy teenager stores.
Maybe I should change this post title from "Crafty" to "Cranky."
Some good things to end on:
  • Last night we went for a walk and ended up seeing Big Al and the Acadians at the King's Court. You can't go wrong with Dixieland Jazz on a Tuesday night.
  • Sunday, we are going to Bethesda to see Dan Zanes. I think I am more excited than Daphne.
  • There is talk of a possible fall trip to Montreal with two of my good friends from Texas.
  • My new awesome little nephew is home and doing well.
  • There is freshly-baked bread for dinner tonight.

Aaaaahhh. I feel better.

1 comment:

Gye Greene said...

Productive friend: Eh. Some folks just don't need to sleep. ;)

(Are the kids >6yo? That might make a difference. I'm hoping.)

Mushroom fabric leftovers: Or a pillowcase?


--GG