Friday, April 30, 2010

Kids in Lab Coats

Yesterday, Daphne's class went on a field trip to Curiosity Zone, which is a toy store / science lab for kids. They all put on little lab coats and learned about balance:

After the science lesson was over, they all received a beaker and test tube and instructions for making a volcano at home. (Kev will be in charge of that.) The class then went to a nearby park to play and have a snack, and after that, a few of us went to lunch at a local smoothie place. Everyone had a good time, and the kids were pretty well-behaved.
At Daphne's school, the parents are required to accompany the kids on field trips, which of course has good and bad points. While I have to admit I get a little irritated about missing my 3 hour window of alone time, I love being able to watch Daphne in action with the kids from school. Plus, I get to be in control of transporting her from Point A to Point B. I know that one of these days, she is going to be going on real field trips, off to DC on buses driven by strangers in crazy DC traffic, and that is not going to be easy for me. But, no point fretting about it now.
The people who lived in our house before us left us a lovely gift: a picnic table in the back yard under the cherry tree. It isn't in the best shape, but its functional, and we use it from time to time. Last night was one of those times. Since it was such a nice day, Kev suggested eating outside, and I jumped at the chance. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Food tastes better outside. I don't know why, but it does.
I think maybe eating outside makes you slow down and enjoy your food more, and maybe even makes you feel sorta like you're on vacation. We should do it more often.



The garden is doing well so far. No critters seem to be bothering it. Daphne and I may go to the nursery today in search of a few more things to plant. It's going to be a nother nice day today, HOT tomorrow, and rain again on Sunday just in time for our big trip to Bethesda. Have a great weekend, and eat a meal outside if you can. You'll be glad you did.



2 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Food outdoors: Agreed. Dunno why, either. Maybe it's our primitive roots.

--GG

Christina said...

There are often opportunities for parents to chaperone school trips too, so you could always participate later too.