Monday, April 19, 2010

Critters and Treasures

This morning, as I was sitting drinking coffee at the kitchen table, I saw a squirrel go by out of the corner of my eye. Only it wasn't a squirrel at all...it was this very cute rabbit, which is now named "Max." He was nice enough to pose for me before he hopped off into the back yard, where he probably lives under our potting shed. This could be bad news for our garden, which we are theoretically planting this weekend. The plan is to build a couple of raised beds and get going on some nice summer vegetables. I am really REALLY excited about this. There is nothing better than food you grow yourself.

Last night, Daphne took a picture of some of the "treasures" she brought back from the garden festival:
Lots of goodies for the kids, all of which were free. Grown-ups had to pay for their treasures, however. I got two. Daphne took pictures of them, also:

Meet Vern. The fern. Let's all hope I don't kill him before we even get him hung up properly on the porch in this:

I love my new New Orleans-y hanging Vern the Fern holder. Thanks, Kev!
I have put Daphne in charge of reminding me to water Vern each day. That is probably not the best strategy, but I am determined to have a greener thumb and somehow keep him alive. I don't have a very good track record with potted plants. Actually, I once DID keep a nice aloe vera plant named "Mick Jagger" alive for a couple years, maybe three! I eventually busted him open and used him when I burned myself cooking, and that was that. Luckily for Vern, he doesn't have healing powers. I'll try to post a photo when I get him hung up nicely on the porch.
OK...I'm off to sit and think about what to do tomorrow while Daphne is at school. I never use this time wisely, so maybe if I make a plan, things will go better. I think it should start with coffee...




2 comments:

Christina said...

What a beautiful rabbit! You got an amazing photo of him/her!

Gye Greene said...

Mick Jagger the aloe vera plant: To clarify -- did you split it in twain? Or just break off a spike?

--GG