Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Feeling Groovy

Nothing can re-start one's groove like a good weekend. And a good weekend we had. Kev and I got a chance to hang out sans Peanut, because she went to spend the night with G-Ma and G-Pa on Saturday. The weather was beautiful, so we took an afternoon bike ride on the trail (which nearly killed me, but was fun), and we ended up back in town at the Doner Bistro for brats on the patio. I like the Doner Bistro because its patio is a very cheerful place, with lots of orange things incorporated into the decor. And on this day, some ultra-hipsters that were there with their tattoos and jet-black hair and thrift-store chic wardrobes told me that I have the coolest bike in the world, so that made me feel good. I got to try out my new Christmas pannier, but forgot to take a picture of it. Today, I bought an orange daisy to adorn it with, so I'll take a picture on out next outing.

On Sunday, we visited two local wineries and had a nice picnic by a pond. There were ducks, geese, turtles, a heron, and a very nice black dog, and we were able to find a table remote enough to mostly avoid the huge table of loud drunk ladies. It was very peaceful, and a good day out.


While Daphne was away, we also played some Rock Band, had breakfast at the coffee shop, played REAL instruments, and hung out on the porch. It was delightful. But we sure missed Daphne and were glad when she came home Sunday evening.

Saturday morning, before she went to my parents' house, Daphne had her first soccer "game." It was really cute, and she had a blast. There was a trainer there to do most of the coaching, so Kev had an easy job. The kids played games like tag and red-light-green-light, and did some dribbling and kicking drills. They ran for almost a solid hour, but Daphne did great. I think she got her daddy's soccer gene.
I think soccer is going to be really good for her to counteract all the time she spends indoors on the couch. In fact, in the morning before the game, she actually TURNED DOWN something sweet! She said she didn't want any honey-yogurt dressing on her fruit because "soccer is a healthy time of day and I shouldn't eat sweet things." This attitude didn't last long, but still. Perhaps there's hope.
Speaking of sweet things, THIS plus THIS equals:

My new favorite snack. In fact, I may have some now. It's so delicious. Thank you, Wegman's cheese department sample giver man.
After the weekend of sunshine, it is a cold and dreary day today and I feel like knitting for the first time in a while. So that's the plan for the afternoon. And I'm planning a souffle for dinner tonight, courtesy of Alton Brown. And there will be herb bread to go with it. Y'all should start placing your bets on how long the groove lasts this time...it's only a matter of time before the crash. Off to take advantage while I can...




5 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Cheese & jam: Nice!

For the last two weeks,I've been going through a "cheese on Ritz crackers" phase.


Congrats on the nifty bike! :)


--GG

Christina said...

Yeah, what kind of cheese and fruit spread is that?

I just caught up on your recent posts! It looks like you've had a fun few weeks! I'm jealous of your weekend alone without Daphne! I might have to arrange something like that with my sister-in-law even if it means Linnea has to sleep with my SIL in her queen bed, since she doesn't have any other bed option besides a couch (which is actually where I imagine my SIL would end up so she could actually SLEEP).

I hope you all feel better soon! The change of weather (from hot to cold all the time) is driving me crazy!

Christina said...

BTW, I like that dress painting! It's really cool!

Tara said...

It's Carr Valley Bread Cheese and Jammin' Organic fruit spread, both from Wegman's.

I need to find a good spot for my painting...and a pattern to make myself the real dress!

Christina said...

That's so cool that you can sew! Good luck finding a pattern!