Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Great Big Ol' Pot of Happy

Chicken and Biscuits. What better meal could you ask for on a chilly rainy evening? So that's what we had last night, and the best part was, Daphne helped me make it. Her jobs: taking the thyme leaves off the stems (from our own garden - YAY!), dumping various things into the pot, and "painting" the biscuits (egg wash makes everything prettier). I may have mentioned this before, and I don't have the exact numbers, but kids are statisically more likely to eat food that they cook or grow themselves, and Daphne ate up her whole bowl of chicken and biscuits with great gusto, proudly pointing out her contributions to Kev - "See that dark green stuff, Dad? That's the THYME!"


I cannot wait to eat the leftovers. I am currently attempting to get permission to post the recipe, so check back later for that. Really easy and SO good.
Today it's sunny and warm, but it started off gloomy, so I decided to take Daphne to a place called Sports Bounce. Goal: Completely wear out my kid so she will take a super long nap this afternoon (I have a birthday party to plan...but that's a post for another day). Sports Bounce is a giant indoor play area featuring bounce-houses and giant inflatable slides. It cost $10 for the 90 minute session, but DUDE. It was SO worth it. Daphne ran, jumped, climbed, and slid for the entire hour and a half, and had a gigantic smile on her face the whole time. By the time it was over, she was so tired that she didn't even object when I said it was time to leave.
They didn't have ANYthing like that when I was a kid. I remember only one bounce-house experience as a child. It was at a school carnival in third or fourth grade, and the bounce house was rented by the PTA as the BIG ATTRACTION. We climbed into this thing, which was very poorly designed, and once there were more than about 6 kids inside, it became inevitable that at some point we'd all get too close to the center at the same time, causing us to create a giant pit, into which we all sank. After much grasping and clawing and stepping on the littler kids, a beaten down grown-up would have to come in and pull us all out, and the next group would start their turn. And we LOVED it. I can only imagine how great I would have thought Sports Bounce was as a kid.
Anyway, we're home now, and Daphne just finished a big lunch. So I am going to take advantage of her full belly and active morning and start the nap process early. Stay tuned for adventures in party planning, perhaps later this week.

2 comments:

Gye Greene said...

You take really good food pics. You should write a PPHPHB cookbook. :)

Good tip re: "kid helps make, kid eats it". We'll have to try that.


--GG

Gye Greene said...

Oh: Tiring the kids out so they'll sleep.

If the boys aren't going to sleep for their nap, I tickle them for a bit until they get all giddy. The missus thinks that winds them up -- but I think it gets them tired.

**Seems** to work. :)


--GG