Sunday, May 23, 2010

Season One is in the Books

A big crowd came out to watch Daphne's last soccer game of the spring season. It was extra special for several reasons. My grandma is here visiting from Indiana, so she got to go, along with my cousin and her daughter who came to visit from Philly. The kids got to try playing an actual game, which was really cute and went better than you might expect. At the end of the game, the kids got their medals. Daphne was surprised, excited, and very proud:


She wore it all day, and even tried to sleep in it.
After the game, Coach Kevin treated the few kids who showed up to an ice cream cone at Baskin Robbins. Instead of sitting with us, Daphne went off to sit with her friends. This is the first time this has happened, and it kind of took me by surprise. She's such a big kid now. It's really weird.
After the ice cream, we went to lunch with Daphne's cheering section (G-ma, G-pa, Uncle Jeff, my grandma, my cousin, and her daughter), and then back home to play for a little while in the yard before a much needed nap.

Daphne had a great time with her cousin Sarah. They got along and played together really well. I had a nice visit with my cousin, and I'll get to see my grandma again on Wednesday before she heads back home. The weekend went by really fast, and now I need to shift into hyper-groove. Less than two weeks until Daphne's birthday, and there is a lot to be done.
What I need to do now, though, is sleep.


One last thing. If there was never any such thing as MTV, and then suddenly it was now and I invented MTV, this is the first video I would show. Grab your coffee, open up your windows, and turn this up. Especially if you happen to be just starting your Monday. It is really really cool and will get your day off to a good start. There is just something special about a bunch of voices singing together like that. And the cool drums at the beginning! And the violins! It makes me happy.
And a funny side note: the bearded guy with the glasses and the stripey shirt was a cub scout with my brother and used to come over to our house when we were kids. I never in a million years would have expected him to end up here. Way to go, Gra(ha)m!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Good video!

D has a really thoughtful expression in teh one where she's holding the medal to her chest.

If you're in the mood, you can prolong the life of the picnic table by getting a bottle of boiled linseed oil from the woodworking section of your local hardware store, diluting it with some methyl alcohol (?), and ragging it on to the plank-y surfaces of your picnic table. (Dries in a few days.)

Or, not.


--GG

Bleach said...

Why does Patty always have the "This is ok, but no little house on the praire look on her face?"

Bleach said...

Why does Patty always have the "This is ok, but no little house on the praire" look on her face?

BTW - My word verification was "Dipingst". Dipping street. Ice Cream party... Need I say more?