Monday, May 17, 2010

Small Weekend

For once, we had a small weekend. And it was fine by me. Friday, Daphne was sick, so we did pretty much nothing. Saturday, she was better, so she played soccer. We got her pictures back, as you can see. They look like baseball cards (front above, back below). Pretty cool. Next week is the last game. Daphne doesn't know it yet, but the kids are going to get little "gold medals". She is going to be SO excited about this. Kev is also treating the kids to an ice cream cone...at least the ones who show up.

Saturday afternoon, we grilled out. Grilling is the one occasion that Kev and I are really good at mealtime teamwork. He does the outside stuff, and I do the inside stuff. We had cheeseburgers, corn, and these potato things from the Pioneer Woman:


They were very good. I followed the recipe exactly, except for leaving out the scallions because I don't like scallions. I think these would be good with bacon in place of the ham, or with goat cheese and garlic. There are tons of variations you could come up with, I bet. It's hard to go wrong with any combination of potato, cheese, butter, and pork.
We ate on the porch. The weather was actually very nice this weekend. Look at Daphne. What a mess. Hair everywhere. A sure sign of a fun day playing outside.

Saturday night, I stayed up late and watched Julie and Julia. I've been wanting to see it, and we have a couple of free movie channels until the end of June, so I'm trying to pack a lot in. I have to say, I thought is was just OK. Meryl Streep was great as Julia Child, but the Julie Powell character was unlikeable and annoying. I don't know if that was because of the acting, or if the real Julie Powell is also unlikeable and annoying. I have never actually read her blog. Anyway, I didn't really have high expectations of the movie. I just wanted to watch it because I happen to be interested in food and blogs and blogs about food. Here are a few of my favorites:

There are tons more out there. Some are better than others. I tend to like the ones with the most pictures. But that's just me.

On Sunday, Kev nearly did himself in doing a bunch of yardwork. I stayed inside and worked on Daphne's birthday party invitations. More on that later. For now, I'd better go take advantage of a napping Peanut. I should probably eat lunch. If it's any good, I'll take a picture.

6 comments:

Christina said...

Daphne was down for her nap at 12:15 p.m. Wow! I just put L down. I've been lazy lately!

Anyway, I love that soccer photo and card of Daphne! I think it's awesome that it has her stats! Very cool!

Tara said...

The clock on this blog is two hours fast! She wasn't asleep until about 2:00.

Christina said...

Ah, that makes sense.

Gye Greene said...

Scallions: Interesting that you don't like scallions -- given that you like onions (? - don't you?) and you like garlic. Don't think I've known anyone with that combination of preferences. :)

Pink flower table: That's a neat-o table. I'll have to make one. (Or is it Ikea-able?)


--GG

Tara said...

I love garlic, but I don't like onions. I use them in various things, but I cut them up really really small so that by the time they cook, they practically disappear.

Christina said...

I'm the same way, Tara!